1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Problem viewing Widescreen

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by Beamer113, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Beamer113

Beamer113 New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    I have a Panasonic PT-50LC13, and had an authorized repair center change my lamp. After that, it seems I cannot view movies in widescreen anymore, they show up as letterbox. Same movies that I was able to view at 16:9 aspect once.

My DVD connects through the component video connections and is already setup at 16:9. Interesting part is when viewing the menu, it shows up in full screen 16:9 ratio but when the movie starts playing it shows up in letterbox format. A little annoying considering it didn't happen before.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer.

2. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Letterbox is a format for 4:3 sets. If you show letterbox on a 16:9 set it would have black bars on 4 sides. Is this the case? If there are bars on top and bottom and not the sides, during the movie, but not during menu, its possible the movie was shot at 2.35:1 rather than 1.85:1. If that's the case, it's possible you had the aspect zoomed before and the technician changed it to normal. Look at the back of the jacket of the DVD and it should give the aspect ratio.