1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with HR21 error 771

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by saltwater, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltwater

saltwater New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Recently upgraded to the HR21-700. Ever since the upgrade we have experinced an error code 771 (searching for signal) on some of the HD channels. I did the reset thinking this might fix the problem. It did not. I was watching TV this morning and was getting this error on most of the channels, includeing the non HD. Did the reset and now receive an error of 771 (acquiring guide). Did the reset and still get the same 771. Contacted customer support and was walked through the process and still get 771. A tech is being sent out tomorrow. As of now we can not watch TV. Any suggestions?

Device: HR21-700 only one unit in the house.

Signal Strenght:
    Tuner 1. 57,54,51,0,51,60,0,55

Tuner 2. 57,52,49,0,50,57,0,54

Test Signal Strenght:
    Tuner 1. 56%

Tuner 2. 56%

If any other info is needed, let me know.

2. pilotpierce

pilotpierce Cool Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Looks to me like your signals are way low. The tech will probably do a dish alignment.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Those levels are poor.
    The dish needs to be aligned better and make sure all of the cables are snug. It is somewhat common for the cables to be loose. This was the case with my install and some others too.

4. saltwater

saltwater New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I have checked all the cables from the receiver to the dish. They checked out OK. The dish does not appear to have moved and all the bolts and nuts are snug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.