1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with my HR21 Acquiring Data Guide Error

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rob316, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Jan 5, 2010 #1 of 11
    rob316

rob316 Legend

Jun 29, 2008
    Help, I came home tonight and noticed my HR21 was on, so I turned on my TV and there was a Blue Screen with the message Acquiring Data Guide and thats it. I did Red Button and the samething came backup and it will not do anything else please help.

2. Jan 6, 2010 #2 of 11
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    How long has this HR21 been installed?

Typical causes of this problem are ....
    * Poor reception of the 119ºW satellite with a 5-LNB SlimLine HD Dish
    * You have a 3-LNB SlimLine Dish but the DVR is configured for the 5-LNB SlimLine.

3. Jan 6, 2010 #3 of 11
    rob316

rob316 Legend

Jun 29, 2008
    I think I found the problem, Comcast came over to upgrade my internet and some how screwed up my DTV lines. I only have 1 line working and the other is completly dead. I did test the DVR in my son's room who also has a DVR with no problem at all. Comcast added two splitters to decrease the high signal coming ofthe cable line and in the process screwed something up. DTV will be out Monday to look at. Again this started to happen after Comcast installed the internet.

4. Jan 6, 2010 #4 of 11
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    This stuff drives me insane. Hopefully it's been over 90 days since your DirecTV was installed, or your installer is going to get charged back for something that Comcast did...

5. Jan 6, 2010 #5 of 11
    rob316

rob316 Legend

Jun 29, 2008
    I have had it for over a year already, and I also have the Maintenance Plan as well. I am just going to tell the tech the truth Comcast F ed up and hope I do not get charged $49.95 for the visit

6. Jan 6, 2010 #6 of 11
    erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Geez! Its bad enough Comcast won't give us Versus on D*, now they are coming out and sabotaging our equipment? :eek2:

7. Jan 7, 2010 #7 of 11
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It happens to us 2-3 times a week, and I have to eat the costs. Comcast will categorically refuse to correct these issues. I had one customer pay me $100 to come and fix his DirecTV system because when he canceled Comcast and they showed up a week later to disconnect him, the Comcast tech cut his coax lines in several places to disable the sat feeds. The customer saw the tech do it, but the tech refused to fix it. When he called Comcast and spoke to a supervisor, he was told "well, you can't prove we did it, can you?" and was told that he was on his own. He was so furious with them that he happily offered to pay me because he said he would never allow them on his property again.

The Uverse installers are no better; they will purposely cut satellite lines to make it more difficult for customers to switch back. Again, we see it all the time.

Plus, cable techs are taught that they own the cables inside the house, though this is false and covered by federal law. But we have to do several service calls a month due to the cable company going to a customer's house, disconnecting the sat line that's in use and using that line for a cable modem, so that the cable tech doesn't have to run a new line. We charge the customers for this, which usually makes them very angry, but it isn't our fault and we already get backcharged and take a hit on our stats over it.

Most folks have no idea how sat techs end up taking it from all sides...

8. Jan 7, 2010 #8 of 11
    rob316

rob316 Legend

Jun 29, 2008
    Well I found the problem and it's an easy fix. I disconnected everything yesterday and seperated all the wires to see what was going on. I found that the Comcast tech for somereason changed the BMC connector on the cable going from my DVR to the DTV line coming into the house. The line coming into the house has male connectors while the wire that goes from the DVR to the DTV drop is female. He changed the Female to male. When he installed the internet he saw that the signal was to high so installed splitters to dampen the signal well he used 2 splitters and changed one of the DTV cables connectors so he can plug into the splitter. This is my fault I should been watching him like a hawk. I still have service from the good line and I ran the Sat setup again and changed my tuner from dual to single and it works fine until Monday. All the tech has to do is change the connector from male to female and plug it back into the DTV line coming from the SAT.

9. Jan 7, 2010 #9 of 11
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Good you found the problem .. will make the diagnosis even easier .. Stinks that you have to do this at all.

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    One could believe that it wasn't done by accident either.

Lesson learned - don't trust anyone with a cabel company logo on their uniform. :D

11. rob316

rob316 Legend

Jun 29, 2008
    Problem resolved DTV tech came changed the coax connector from male to female everything back to normal. He was thankful that I did all the troubelshooting before hand because he said he was behind schedule. :)