1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with new software upgrade?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rickwhit4d, May 24, 2011.

1. rickwhit4d

rickwhit4d Cool Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I have an HR-20 in the bedroom and HR-24 in the office. A problem has arisen after the 5/19 software upgrade. On 2 occasions, the DVR in the bedroom reported a red slash through 2 different shows at 2 different times that that particular show was being watched by too many other DVR's and was not available for viewing in the bedroom. Neither of the other 2 DVR's in our home was playing the show in question. One of the 2 other DVR's was switched off and the other was playing a different recording. In about an hour, the problem resolved itself and the program was viewable. Anyone else with the same problem? Re-setting the bedroom DVR did not resolve the problem. I did not attempt any other maneuvers to resolve the problem. The whole-home system was installed 4 months ago and has been working flawlessly. I checked the "Too many DVR's playing the same recording" aspect when it was installed and it worked properly at that time. Any insight?

2. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Rebooting the "serving" DVR might have cleared ip the problem a bit faster.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. rickwhit4d

rickwhit4d Cool Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Thank you Doglover, I will give that a try on the next recurrence.

4. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    That has happened to my hr20-100 on several occasions in the past and it did again shortly after the upgrade. So it is not something new with the upgrade, it just seems to get stuck sometimes.

The last time it cleared up by just using the hr20-100 for a short period. In the past a restart has worked.

5. rickwhit4d

rickwhit4d Cool Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Thank you fornold. I have been using the whole home setup extensively and haven't had this crop up b/4. However, it isn't proof of a problem with the upgrade, it just seemed a suspicious coincidence.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Just so you know .. The "not available for viewing" will show up for every program on a DVR that is already serving up a program. You mentioned that two programs had the "not available" symbol (red circle with white dash in middle). Perhaps you also had a folder that contained these symbols and you couldn't see them because the folder was not expanded.

Here's your scenario ...

Bedroom - live tv
    office - live tv
    other(1) - standby (it's never truly off unless you unplug it)
    other(2) - watching a recording

Condition: "after 1 hour things went back to normal"

My guess here .. is that your DVR other(2) was watching a recording from either office or other(1) and that that the program was in a folder rather. It didn't have to be the same program you were looking for in the bedroom, just stored on the same DVR as that program. So, when you tried to watch from the bedroom, you noticed the problem.

I have 3 DVRs @ my house and on occasion both me and my wife ware on DVR-A and DVR-B and both trying to watch a program from DVR-C. Since each DVR can only serve up one remote stream at a time, only one of the two of us will actually get to do that. The solution in that case will be for one of us to move to DVR-C location.

I think that everything was working correctly in your situation, but it's not entirely clear

7. rickwhit4d

rickwhit4d Cool Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Doug,

Thank you very much. That is a complete explanation that I am certain was what happened. I posted this problem just a short time ago and already I have the solution! This forum continues to amaze me. Thanks again!

Rick

8. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    I have had this happen when no program was being watched on another DVR. It is always the HR20 that has had the issue. This has not occurred with either of the HR21's or the HR22 I have.

The HR20 just seems to think it is serving a program sometimes when it actually is not.

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    except in this case it appears it was ...