1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems activating an HR24? (tech is here 6/20/2010)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MISpat, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1 of 102
    MISpat

MISpat Legend

Apr 21, 2009
    The tech who did my whole home installation is having problems activating a new HR24-500. It gets stuck on the Satellite Dish Setup page with no option to "Continue". He's been on the phone with 2 directv reps who have tried resetting the receiver remotely but it doesn't respond to that. We have since rebooted it manually with the red button.

Has anyone experienced this and know what solved the problem?

Thanks in advance for any info!

(EDITED: It's now the next day, so the tech is no longer here thankfully ;) )

2. Jun 20, 2010 #2 of 102
    barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    How is the signal going to that box, and how has he hooked it up? No signal, no activation.

3. Jun 20, 2010 #3 of 102
    MISpat

MISpat Legend

Apr 21, 2009
    It should be OK... it's using the same wall jack as the H23 that was working here already. The coax run from the SWM splitter to the receiver is approximately 40 feet. Maybe that length could be a problem since this unit uses 2 tuners instead of 1?

4. Jun 20, 2010 #4 of 102
    john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    This is a stupid suggestion, but has the tech verified that a test signal passes through on the line from the connector from the SWiM switch to the line that inputs the DVR? Also, has he plugged that single input into the proper single input to the HR24-500?

5. Jun 20, 2010 #5 of 102
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you have a SWiM setup, you still only need one coax to the HR24. Have you tried hooking the H23 back up and seeing if it will boot up? If it doesn't, then something is out of whack with your cable run or dish install.

Did the installer change anything with regard to your current dish, splitters, or cables?

- Merg

6. Jun 20, 2010 #6 of 102
    MISpat

MISpat Legend

Apr 21, 2009
    Someone in support just had him do some work up on the dish but it didn't make a difference. He's currently trying the new HR24 in a room where we know we're getting a signal. I'll report back ASAP...

7. Jun 20, 2010 #7 of 102
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If it works there, try the H23 back in its old spot to rule out a bad cabling issue. You also didn't answer if the tech made any changes to your wiring setup at all.

- Merg

8. Jun 20, 2010 #8 of 102
    MISpat

MISpat Legend

Apr 21, 2009
    The only thing he did with wiring inside the house is to hook coax up to the broadband Deca. On the roof, I don't really know what he did. I do know that he's up there again swapping out the LNB at the suggestion of tech support. This was after the HR24 was able to be activated in a different location but the signal strength was low (in the 70s) both on the new HR24 and the existing one which was installed earlier in the week.

9. Jun 20, 2010 #9 of 102
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Sounds like the dish alignment might be off. Did you have any other DVR's in your house before this one? Did you have one or two lines going to them?

If you had two lines, then you need to have had your LNB swapped out with a SWiM-LNB. Also, your mutiswitch, if you had one, would be swapped out for a SWiM splitter. How many receivers did you have before this install and how many now (receivers and DVR's)?

- Merg

10. Jun 20, 2010 #10 of 102
    barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    With the amount of times that tech support suggests to swap out the LNB's... it makes me wish I was in that business.

Does he not have a gizmo to check the line that is to hook up to the 24 in the location you want it?

11. Jun 20, 2010 #11 of 102
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    My guess is that the tech swapped out the LNB for a SWiM-LNB at the get-go and somehow didn't align the dish right.

- Merg

12. Jun 20, 2010 #12 of 102
    MISpat

MISpat Legend

Apr 21, 2009
    I did have an HD-DVR previously with two lines going to it, but there is only one now that SWM (and I assume the correct LNB) was put in earlier in the week. He finally got it activated in the other room and it's working OK in the room it's supposed to be in, except for one thing... this receiver isn't recognizing the MultiRoom. I activated it in my online account and after a call to tech support to refresh services to the receivers, the two upstairs see MultiRoom. But the new HR24 downstairs does not. Urrrghgh,.

13. Jun 20, 2010 #13 of 102
    MISpat

MISpat Legend

Apr 21, 2009
    Are you sure about that? :D The tech told me they get paid $30 for a Whole Home upgrade, which might be OK if the installation takes an hour or two. But if you run into problems like we're having.... well put it this way, he's been here 4 hours already. I feel really bad for this guy.

14. Jun 20, 2010 #14 of 102
    MISpat

MISpat Legend

Apr 21, 2009
    Does anyone know where in "My Account" online I can refresh services to one receiver? Nothing I do is making this thing show the MultiRoom option.

15. Jun 20, 2010 #15 of 102
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Check here to refresh your services... http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/secondaryIndex.jsp?assetId=1900001

Also, check your signal strengths to be sure that your dish is aligned properly. You can post them here if you are not sure what is good and what is bad. Once again, if a dish is not aligned properly, it can lead to issues such as activation problems, 771 errors, etc.

- Merg

16. Jun 20, 2010 #16 of 102
    barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I don't want to install them.. I should be manufacturing them. :D

Hang in there Patrick. If we can help you, we will.

Merg: do you think that the HR24 in question might have to sit a bit to get current software? I'm not going to suggest a force.

17. Jun 20, 2010 #17 of 102
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Ya know, since it was a new install, I just assumed that the tech did force download, but I guess I shouldn't have.

@MISpat
    What version software does your HR24 have? Press and hold the Info button for 3 seconds. The setup screen will appear with your version number. If it is not 0x03E0, I would recommend forcing a download.

To force a download to get you the most recent software version, use the menus to perform a reset. As soon as the Hello screen appears, press 0-2-4-6-8 on your remote. After the Few more seconds screen, it should go to a software downloading screen. At first it will show the current version in the upper left hand corner, but it should then change to the new version and start the download. Do not reset or power down the receiver. The download can take a bit and it might pause for a while at 97%. When that is done, check to see if you have Multi-Room on the receiver.

Disclaimer: This should be the only time you ever need to force a download. This is only since the receiver generally comes from the factory with an older software version than is currently out there.

- Merg

18. Jun 20, 2010 #18 of 102
    barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    :lol:

19. Jun 20, 2010 #19 of 102
    MISpat

MISpat Legend

Apr 21, 2009
    OK gang, here's where we're at. The new HR24 downloaded software version 0x03E0 pretty much right after he plugged it in. We finally got it to show the Multiroom option after I refreshed services to it myself. So all three HD receivers are now working properly (can watch TV and MRV is working)

The kicker here is that before I refreshed services myself, a tech rep at directv tried to and since then, the D12 in my bedroom can no longer get a signal. To further confuse matters, the D12 worked in a different room, and an HD unit worked in the bedroom, but the D12 in that bedroom just won't get a signal. I even had DirecTV reactivate the old D12 that I was going to send back, and that one won't work either. It makes absolutely no sense because it was working in that room all day long. The tech left and will call me tomorrow after he speaks to his boss about it (he was here for almost 7 hours, so I certainly can't fault him for his effort)

Could it be that I could be getting a good signal to the HD receivers but no signal to a standard def receiver? I'll check out the signal numbers from one of the HD units later tonight or tomorrow morning and post them here if you guys think it might help. (I do believe almost all of them I saw when he was here were in the 80s or 90s)

BTW, thanks for all the quick help so far... much appreciated!!!

20. Jun 20, 2010 #20 of 102
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    With the D12, I believe you need a BandStop Filter installed since it is not DECA compatible.

- Merg