1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems Solved With Band Converters?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ptimmerm, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 8, 2007 #1 of 32
    ptimmerm

ptimmerm AllStar

Jan 8, 2007
    OK, I am new to all of this, so forgive me.... but I have run into something interesting.

Last Friday I had an HR20-700 installed. This was my first step into HD. It is connected via HDMI to a Panasonic TH-42PX60U.

The installers did not install the B band converters and told me they never do as it usually drops signal strength by 20%. I took them at their word. One of the first things the receiver did was download and install 0x10b. I even did an additional RBR after it was done. Friday through Sunday I had nothing but problems. I ran into almost every bug mentioned here. I had a 60% fail rate when recording HD. It would always just ask if I wanted to delete the recording. I saw black screen a couple of times and the receiver was constantly hanging when I did rewinds or skipped back.

Very frustrated, I decided to install the band converters on Sunday night, "just for kicks". I monitored signal strength and saw no adverse impact. Ever since I installed the converters, I have not had so much as a problem. 100% success recording (and I have been recording everything HD I could find) and no playback/live TV issues.

I have read up on the converters somewhat and I don't know that it makes a lot of sense to me as to why these would solve my problems.

Maybe it is all a coincidence, but as of right now, I could not be happier with the box....... hopefully that will not change.

Thoughts?

Paul

2. Jan 8, 2007 #2 of 32
    Knon2000

Knon2000 Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    Maybe you have hit onto something.
    My recievers all have the b band converters connected. I do know that
    alot of people have them removed, since that was recommended previously.
    I wonder how many of the people that have them removed are having problems and vice-versa.

3. Jan 8, 2007 #3 of 32
    ptimmerm

ptimmerm AllStar

Jan 8, 2007
    Like I said, maybe it is a coincidence, but you never know. Hopefully others will reply/comment!

4. Jan 8, 2007 #4 of 32
    jaybee

jaybee Legend

Jun 22, 2006
    I've had my BBCs installed since day 1 and the only bugs I've noticed are the BSB and pinky. The sat reception is in the 90's for the most part.

5. Jan 8, 2007 #5 of 32
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I have both B-Band converters installed on both of my receivers. I have had to do a RBR 2 maybe 3 times total for both. Maybe a couple of other speed bumps here and there. My viewing habits dictate that I only use basic DVR functions. So I don't really push the box that hard.

6. Jan 8, 2007 #6 of 32
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm afraid this is a ghost. The BBC will be needed for the new SATs this year. I can't think how they would effect any recording problems.
    A 20% drop in signal power would suggest a defective BBC.

7. Jan 8, 2007 #7 of 32
    Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    This is interesting, I would say that over the past 2 or 3 months, many were blaming the converters for problems and removed them. Like magic, their problems went away. I'm going to say it was a coincidence; but I've been known to be wrong a few times.

BTW........:welcome_s to the forum!

8. Jan 8, 2007 #8 of 32
    jclark

jclark DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 4, 2006
    I have both BBCs installed, and mine has been pretty stable except for a large number of IKDs during Christmas week. Other than that, no problems.

9. Jan 8, 2007 #9 of 32
    jforgione

jforgione Cool Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Do you have a 3-LNB or 5-LNB dish?

10. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I have also had BBCs installed from day 1. Since I never had any problems, I never had reason to remove them.

I had my first BSOD last week, and I've had 1 other lockup while messing with scheduling on a recording.

Never missed a recording....

I don't think it should make a difference, but I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one anyway.

11. ptimmerm

ptimmerm AllStar

Jan 8, 2007
    And this is exactly what I had read....... however I don't believe a lot in coincidences. Could be something else though. Who knows. Will keep the list updated.

When do the new Sats launch and what will these do for the "new" MPEG4 streams that are not needed for the existing MPEG4 streams?

12. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I've never had the BBC installed due to all the problems with them. I've had very few issues with the HR20.

I know I need to try them out to see if they are any good though because they will be needed with the new sats. :(

13. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Icon

Aug 14, 2006
    ...But I've had my B-Band converters connected since I got my HR20 (in September). I have experienced (pretty much) every problem that has been reported on these forums... black screen o' death, lockups, failed recordings, unresponsiveness, missing OTA channels, etc. I've got it all... and the converters are installed. :(

Sorry, but I don't think they're related. Or, should I say, they don't completely prevent the problems.

Bob

14. ptimmerm

ptimmerm AllStar

Jan 8, 2007
    I have a 5-LNB dish. Why do you ask....... just curious.

15. eengert

eengert Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    I have had the BBCs connected since install ~3 mos ago and haven't had any known problems with the unit (outside the few annoyances of pinky and such). In fact, my HR20 has been so solid that I have demoted my HR10 (which is now very buggy with 6.3a) to a backup unit and use the HR20 as my primary. I just realized that I must have complete confidence in my HR20 because I don't even think about it - I just expect it to work and so far it has.

One possibly important note: I don't have MPEG-4 locals yet here in the Buffalo area. But I do use my OTA HD locals extensively.

16. jclark

jclark DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 4, 2006
    There we go! We have our exception that proves the rule.:D

17. ptimmerm

ptimmerm AllStar

Jan 8, 2007

How do I know if my locals are MPEG-4? If I have a 5-LNB dish, does that mean they are?

18. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    If you get your HD Locals over the satellite and you're not in New York or LA then they are in MPEG4.

19. ptimmerm

ptimmerm AllStar

Jan 8, 2007

And NOT in NY or LA? Smaller markets luck out and the bigger markets get the shaft? That's different.

20. jforgione

jforgione Cool Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Just an FYI - You don't need the converters if you still have a 3-LNB dish. I kept my 3-LNB dish and get my locals in hd ota - no converters.

Anyway, I'll probably need to upgrade to a 5-LNB once they come out with additional programming to make it worthwhile. Maybe they'll have a smaller one by then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.