1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with 522

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by amit5roy5, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amit5roy5

amit5roy5 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 3, 2004
    It seems that my 522 is starting to get bad. Its hard drive is, at least. When I pause live TV, and then replay, sometimes, there is no sound, other times, while the picture is playing, it stops and then plays. And lately, my hard drive has been very noisy even if there are no pricesses going on.

I restarted the 522 and I'm having the same problems. What should I do?

2. amit5roy5

amit5roy5 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 3, 2004
    Sorry, I posted in the wrong place. Please move to the Dish Network DVR. Really sorry. :(

3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Hard drives should have quiet clicking/whirring noises. Any kind of grating or other harsh sounds indicates you are right. Call E* and tell them while you rapidly watch everything stored in the box in priority order. With luck, maybe you'll see it all before it dies.

Oh - and no matter what do NOT pull the power cord - even if the CSRs says so!!! If it is the hard drive, that's when it's most likely gonna totally die. If the CSR fights with you, escalate until you find one that actually knows what a computer is - after all that's what these boxes are.

4. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    That's where you act like you're doing the steps they suggest you do.... Just respond, "okay, it's unplugged .... can I plug it back in yet ?". Play along with them.... They can *NOT* diagnose a failing hard drive over the phone !!

5. Giljorak

Giljorak Cool Member

Oct 8, 2003
    It is true they cannot diagnose hard drive problems over the phone. I agree that unplugging the reciever may cause the failure to happen quicker. I suggest when they ask you to unplug it you say that you tried that before you called and it did not fix the problem.

With that being said, here are my thoughts on Dish troubleshooting in general:

If you choose to not do the steps they request of you, it will only delay the diagnosis of the problem. This leads to longer hold times and repeat calls for the same issue. There are specific reasons why you are asked to do each step and specific responses and information they are looking for from the receiver. The CSRs do not make this stuff up, they have very specific troubleshooting steps they must follow, and they are graded on whether or not they follow these steps in troubleshooting your problem. It's no skin off their nose if they ask you to do it and you don't, you still have a problem.

6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    If in fact the steps in their script had any relevance to the problem at hand I'd agree with you. Unfortunately, they don't. Things like: "I have a scratch on my front panel" still seem to get the "Reboot the box" answer. I would imagine that some CSRs just want to tear up the script, but most of them simply have no clue how things work.

Around 20 years ago I was part of the team that built the #1 Software Customer Support group in the world for 3 years running. Scripts were used, and can be handy, but training and using the CSRs brain was much better.

What's sad is that there doesn't seem to be ANYONE taking ANY steps to improve the Quality Of Service the E* CSRs provide.

7. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Didin't Dish recently shake up their management team? I seem to remember specifically changes in engineering and CS. Perhaps there are big changes in the works? You know I'm no Dish kisser. But, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that changes are in the works. (Besides, I basically have no other option until my committment is over.)

OTOH, I'll continue to bash their current practices where bashing is due. (which, unfortunately, is due in regard to almost every Dish practice.)

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    You're right - I seem to remember some reports of changes, but I don't remember any details, and we certainly haven't seen anything in either Engineering or CS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.