1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with eSATA drive or enclosure

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by jeff125va, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    I've been having a problem with an eSATA drive a bought a couple of months ago. It worked fine for a few days but hasn't since. I thought it was the HR20 because it stopped working the same day that a software upgrade was installed, but it doesn't work with any of my three HR-20's. It could be the enclosure because my PC doesn't seem to recognize the drive when I connect externally but it recognizes it when I install it internally. In the meantime (until I get another enclosure to test) is there something I should do such as reformatting the drive to try it again? It's a 750GB drive and shows 3 partitions: 518MB, 15GB and 683GB.

2. jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    Any way to verify that it is just the enclosure?

3. I. Liveclean

I. Liveclean New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    I would check a couple of things before you finalize your diagnosis. The first thing you should confirm is that your external eSata port has been turned on in your BIOS of your PC. Many have this turned off by default. If you turn that on and then check your drive and enclosure and it is not recognized than it probably is the enclosure since you have confirmed that the drive is recognized when you install it internally.

You should not have to reformat the drive but you could. Just remember that it would be better to leave it as is if you determine that the problem is the enclosure, because once you replace it, it should be recognized by the HR-20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.