1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Problems with Genie system

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by williammck, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1 of 19
    williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hello all,

Recently I've been having problems with my HR34 and C31/C41s. I had a C31 in one room that was defective and would freeze up when you tried to turn it off, requiring you to do an RBR each time. The installer came by, checked the system (found no problems), replaced it with a C41, re crimped the coax, and all was well. This was on 09/01.
    Just this weekend, when you turn the new C41 on, it will freeze up some part of the Genie server, making all the clients not work (requiring an RBR of the Genie server). The Genie still seems to operate fine in that state though.
    The Genie server is on the latest firmware, haven't checked the clients (btw, the C41 has that Spanish issue some batches have). I've tried a double reboot of the Genie server, same problem still occured.
    Any idea what's going on or what else I could try?

Thanks,
    William.

2. Sep 9, 2013 #2 of 19
    JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Could be any number of issues.

Coax issue. Connection issue. Genie needs replacement. Could need a new LNB... There is no true method to determine cause of issue without inspection of the system.

3. Sep 9, 2013 #3 of 19
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    According to the OP, the TS has been there, done that.

4. Sep 9, 2013 #4 of 19
    williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, they tested everything when they were out here, and they tested everything on their systems' end. Nothing notable found.
    Any resets or something of that nature that I could try?

5. Sep 9, 2013 #5 of 19
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Doesn't sound like it, but maybe you have some corrupted Guide data that the units are hanging on. Perform a menu reset on the Genie and after it restarts, perform a second menu reset. This will flush the Guide Data. Although reading your OP, it looks like you might have tried that though.

- Merg

6. Sep 9, 2013 #6 of 19
    williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Merg.

Yeah, I've already tried a guide reset. I found a H25 in a drawer that we're apparently still paying for. D: I'm using that in place of the main C41 in the meantime. I checked the signal strengths, 85-100 on all of them (spot-beams excluded). The one thing that worried me though is that the signals for SWM in this main room were:

1-8 100 96 0 0 0 0 98 0
    9-16 100 (N/A on all the rest)

Are the SWM readings supposed to be low and sparse like that or is that semi-normal?

William

7. Sep 9, 2013 #7 of 19
    williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Welp, I might have fixed it. (temporarily...?)
    Originally we had the PI right by the Genie, a good ~70 feet away from the switch, then another ~80 feet from the dish. Might have been too far, IDK... moved it to right by the switch, wired between the CCK and the switch. Everything turned back on, started working perfectly! (no other weird problems either!) [EDIT] Also fixed the Spanish problem on the C41 - held down the DirecTV button to trigger a factory defaults reset.
    Also, we have a 8-port switch, with at max 7 tuners being used. I read somewhere before that you need a PI-28/29 for the 8-port switches; we currently have a PI-21. Can someone confirm the legitimacy of that statement before I go out and buy one from SS?

Thanks!

8. Sep 9, 2013 #8 of 19
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I think the SWM-LNB uses the PI-21. As for the PI being too far from the LNB to begin with, I believe you were fine. You might have actually had a problem with the PI being too close to the receiver. It's actually recommended to have a PI on its own coax run or not in-line with a receiver directly behind a receiver.

- Merg

9. Sep 9, 2013 #9 of 19
    vpr632

vpr632 New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Port Saint...
    I just got a genie and two c41's today. One of the c41's had an issue when in the settings, everything would be in spanish but anywhere else it would be in english. After talking with tech support for about 30 minutes reseting the main box and trying to force a firmware upgrade I decided to change everything to spanish and then back to english, this seemed to correct that issue. If you are still experiencing the spanish thing try that.

Question for others, my current firmware is 0x0724, is this the latest? Also, I was under the impression there should be YouTube and Pandora.. Does any one else have these features?

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I can't help you with that, but if LitzDog comes by, he should be able to comment on your signal strengths.

- Merg

11. williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    It's on it's own line now, except for the CCK behind it. (might actually separate them so the wiring looks nicer)

Factory reset fixed the spanish issue for me. (hold down the DirecTV button for ~10 seconds)
    I have 0x0724 on my C41, so it seems that's okay. I have YouTube and Pandora, are you sure you're hooked up to the internet? It doesn't transfer over the satellite.

Thanks all.

12. vpr632

vpr632 New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Port Saint...
    I am under the impression I am hooked up to the internet I have a deca box. Not 100% sure if the tech set up the internet on the new box. How can I confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    On the Genie, hit the DASH button. It should pop-up with a box telling you the receiver ID #, SWM connected, and whether you are connected to the Internet. You can also try hitting the right arrow button and TV apps should load if you are connected.

- Merg

14. vpr632

vpr632 New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Port Saint...
    It does say connected to the internet. I called tech support they claim it takes 24 hours to show. Is that accurate?

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It can take 24-48 hours for VOD and other Internet related features to start working. Check tomorrow morning.

- Merg

16. vpr632

vpr632 New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Port Saint...
    Thanks Merg.

17. williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Seems I'm back to the same issue. Turned on the C41, was at a black screen for a bit, then switched to a grey screen when one of the C31s turned on. Once that one was turned off, the C41 finally showed live TV.
    Any more ideas? I'm thinking something's wrong with the HR34.

Sent from my HTC One using DBSTalk mobile app

18. vpr632

vpr632 New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Port Saint...
    Probably something with HR34. My exp with them which is a little under a month was terrible. I had one installed when I upgraded to genie and it sucked. They sent me another HR34 as a replacement that was refurbished and that one sucked too. Had to escalate to a case manager for a tech to bring me out a HR-44 they wouldn't send one to me. Had the HR44 for two days now and it runs like a charm. Not one problem and it's super fast.

19. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    Seems I'm back to the same issue. Turned on the C41, was at a black screen for a bit, then switched to a grey screen when one of the C31s turned on. Once that one was turned off, the C41 finally showed live TV.
    Any more ideas? I'm thinking something's wrong with the HR34.

Sent from my HTC One using DBSTalk mobile app

I know you said they checked and didn't see anything wrong with the setup, but humor me and look at the barrels on your wall plates. You'll need to unscrew the cable from it, then look at the center part (of the barrels, not the cable). If its anything but orange or blue then I'd wager that those are your problem.