1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems With HR20 Keybounce

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tucker301, Apr 8, 2007.

Do you have keybounce or double-tap issues with your HR20 remote?

1. Yes, this occurs often.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, it occurs, but infrequently.

82 vote(s)
    78.8%
  3. No problems here.

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 8, 2007 #1 of 77
    tucker301

tucker301 Banned User

Feb 11, 2007
    Call it keybounce, call it double-tap, call it sticky keys - When you press a button on the HR20's factory remote, does it sometimes register as two presses and do something really annoying?
    Example: You want to switch to channel 5-1, but the remote reads 55-1.
    Please vote and keep comments concise and relevant.

2. Apr 8, 2007 #2 of 77
    tucker301

tucker301 Banned User

Feb 11, 2007
    Yes.

I thought of posting that option, but the simple fact is, it should work correctly either way.
    Mine has been set in RF since day two, but I still get doubles all the time.

So, just for clarity - IR/RF? Doesn't matter. If you have problems either way, post up.

3. Apr 8, 2007 #3 of 77
    Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    FREQUENT keybounce in RF...I don't use IR since there is no line of sight from my viewing location to the HR20.

4. Apr 9, 2007 #4 of 77
    tucker301

tucker301 Banned User

Feb 11, 2007
    I've got unobstructed line of sight at 16 ft.
    The receiver is positioned with the full front exposed and about two inches of overhead and right-left clearance.
    The room is on the North side of the house with two windows on the north exterior wall, so there is very little ambient light during the day and we watch at night with the lights off.
    There is no glass or anything between myself and the receiver and my angle is nearly dead-on.
    With this setup it should work either way.

Let's see, what else?
    Average Temperature - 72 degrees F. Does it need to be warmer or cooler to work correctly?
    Average Humidity - 50 % (would drier or wetter be better?)
    8 foot ceilings - (gonna have to live with that)
    Carpeted floors - (carpet's pretty old - perhaps new carpet will help the remote work better?)
    Wood paneling - Aha! It's undetectable radiation from the isotopes of wood decomposing at the rate of 1 milligram per year!

Mine bounces all the time in either mode....AND IT SUCKS!

5. Apr 9, 2007 #5 of 77
    brittonx

brittonx Godfather

Dec 25, 2006
    I get bad keybounce with both. For me, it is more prevalent with RF.

6. Apr 9, 2007 #6 of 77
    funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    Keybounce here multiple times a day in RF - IR not so much - more line of site issues. I stick with RF - that was one of the selling points of the HR20 for me :D

I've read elsewhere in this forum that the new HR20-100 has an external Antenna that is supposed to address this? I'd be curious to hear if that seems to have eliminated the problem or not.

7. Apr 9, 2007 #7 of 77
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Using Rf from day one.
    My first H20 didn't at all, my second H20 would slightly.
    My HR-20 does it every once an a while, but this could be my bumbling fingers just as much as anything.
    Not any noticeable problem.

PS: I can't type either....so my fingers could be all of it. FWIW

8. Apr 9, 2007 #8 of 77
    Xram

Xram Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    Ditto for me.

9. Apr 9, 2007 #9 of 77
    Supervolcano

Supervolcano Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2007
    For me....
    RF mode has serious keybounce issues.
    Haven't had any problems in IR mode.
    That means --- Yes, this occurs often.

armophob....
    If one of the modes doesn't function properly, then a "no" vote is defeating the purpose of this thread.
    :rolleyes:

10. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    I see this fairly often. Just this evening I entered 78 and got 788. Happened two times in a row and I was very careful the second time to push and release the buttons quickly. Sometimes I get the guide filters instead of the list and I assume this is key bounce and not a problem with the special setting being changed.

11. directvfreak

directvfreak Godfather

Feb 1, 2006
    I don't have any problems using the harmony 880.

12. tucker301

tucker301 Banned User

Feb 11, 2007
    I purposely left the poll simplified, because I feel that the equipment should perform with a general level of satisfaction. I don't think equipment is performing properly when users have to do special tricks or use gimmics to get it to work.

The poll assumes that the user, being savvy enough to have found his way to these forums, already knows that one would need to switch the remote to RF mode if line of sight is not present or if other factors like bright ambient light interfere with the function of the IR.

If you don't like the way the poll is structured, and you feel so desperately inclined to inform the masses of the wonders of RF, then feel free to start your own poll.

You've made your points and I've made mine.
    Now let's just see where the poll goes from here.

So far, it looks to be 2 to 1, regardless of mode.

13. TimGoodwin

TimGoodwin Icon

Jun 29, 2004
    The one receiver with RF getting it all the time. The other with IR no such problems. I need the RF in the location I have it so it would be nice to get this problem resolved.

14. ImmerTech

ImmerTech AllStar

Jul 19, 2004
    Fort Lauderdale
    I get keybounce both with the DirecTV remote and with my Harmony. At first I thought it was just the Harmony codes. Then I switched back to the DirecTV remote and had the same problem.

I am using IR for both. Have not tried RF.

15. W9CDL

W9CDL AllStar

Dec 26, 2006
    YES!!! YES!!! A resounding YES! This an issue I have brought up a number of times, only to have it shelved. It is a severe pain in the a**. It needs to be addressed, and soon. Using the remote is part of the basic function and there is no "work around". The sooner this is addressed the better.

16. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    Frequent keybounce with RF. Seems to me a little less severe with 145.

17. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    My answer is really two:
    RF all the time

IR rarely

It makes RF impossible to use so I only use IR now.

I could not figure out which of the thress best answers my situaiton so I guess Yes sometimes.

For everyone having problems, try IR if you are using RF and RF is you are using IR. No guarantees but it may help.

- Craigl

18. tucker301

tucker301 Banned User

Feb 11, 2007
    I'm wondering if RF is creating echo signals, causing the push to register twice on the receiver.

Perhaps the device could be programmed to ignore a duplicate request within .10 seconds of the first?

19. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I would say "ignoring me" is the last thing I want my remote to do. :)

20. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    It seems to me that IR is more likely to reflect than RF, since the RF will pass right thru walls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.