1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with MTVHD and NIKHD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Virus, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virus

Virus Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    I had serious reception issues on Sunday with these channels and I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Describe your reception issues?

Searching for signal?
    Blocky Screen?
    Black Screens?

3. gregv12

gregv12 New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I've been having problems w black screens....just started late last night - and continuing thru today...My wife just called to let me know....

Just black, no messages.... She hadn't been keeping track of the channel no's - i'll let ya know later as to which ones....

Me got a - HR-20-700 w full HD service and Local's in HD via antenna....in Central NY

4. whalene

whalene AllStar

Oct 13, 2006
    i had some black screens witht the new RSN channels. It may have just been blackout issues, but those are usually indicated by "program not available in your area" messages.

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I have had black screens with some channels when tuning to them from the guide. Tuning directly (number) or up/down or with the PIG works okay.

How are you tuning to these channels?

6. gregv12

gregv12 New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Ya know - i dunno - probably was tuning them thru the guide. that's how we usually get to where we want to be. The wife says - Nick was out, and since i had the latest update, and was given the option to black out SD dups of HD channels - i did, so i assume that was the HD nick that was out....She also added - all the local HD channels were periodically out today - all w the same - black screen and no message, but all are working now i guess. Also - our E+W Standard def networks (still have waivers for those) were on/off today
    I'll try alternates when i get home.....and, No messages at all - just completely black screens, which is a new problem for me. and i, like alot of ya'll in here have been a customer since.....when did Dtv 1st start? - ...hehe 1995 i think.... :)

i don't remember the date, but i remember the price.....$1300 and change - for the base RCA receiver, and install, and.....6 months worth of programming i think....hehe - what was i thinking!

7. AreBee

AreBee AllStar

Jan 17, 2005
    I am having black screen issues as well. No searching for signal just black.

HR21 Seems OK but the HR20 is having problems. Sometimes even direct tuning doesn't work and NESNHD actually went blank on me. I saw several 0s on the 103(a) satellite test. Tsp 3, 15-16 and 18-24. 99(b) tsp 3 was also 0. These readings are consistent with both boxes.

8. AreBee

AreBee AllStar

Jan 17, 2005
    Well, I unplugged for a couple seconds and when the HR20 rebooted, all channels I previously had problems with were fine.

9. Virus

Virus Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    Yes to all 3 and it's only on these channels. Yesterday it seemed fine.

10. TimGoodwin

TimGoodwin Icon

Jun 29, 2004
    I've had this problem on and off for a few weeks. Sometimes the only channels that will pop up is my OTA channels. It seems to fix itself sometimes and other times I have to reset the receiver.

11. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    I have had a problem with both of these channels since day one - They have no HD content ;)

12. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    If it continues have her unplug the receiver, wait a bit, and then plug it back in as others have referred to. Losing locals is typically a dead give-away that it is time for a reboot.

Waiting may fix it too, but a reboot is the fastest way to get those channels back. The channels you mentioned are fine here on my HR20. I lost my locals last weekend too as well as a few of the MPEG-4 HD channels.

13. Virus

Virus Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    To no avail. I unplugged my box for 30 mins and that didn't help. I started going through the HD channels and noticed quite a few of them are not working (771). Smithsonian, USA, SCIFI, NFL, Nick and MTV to name a few. Is it time to have DTV come out and realign the dish?

14. Virus

Virus Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    The Dish was 5% off and the bolts were loose. The tech that came out this time had a good meter instead of the tone meter. I'm good to go now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.