1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Procedure when upgrading router

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by csf97, Dec 18, 2012.

1. csf97

csf97 Mentor

Jan 10, 2006
    I plan to replace my old wireless router with a new one and would appreciate it if someone could tell me what (if anything) I will need to do to insure that I don't lose my Whole Home DVR service when I make the switch.

Thanks!

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It should be pretty transparent, as long as you haven't made any customizations to the network setups on the receivers.

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    If you have the same IP configuration, eg. 192.168.1.x, on the router and the same ssid / encryption on the wireless (assuming you're using the wireless on the DVRs, it should be transparent.

If anything, reboot everything after installing the router.

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Definitely Reboot all of your DVR/Receivers after installing your new Router.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you are using DHCP Reservations on your current router, you will need to set that back up on the new router.

- Merg

6. Jnelson

Jnelson Cool Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Upgraded to a Netgear r6300 from a Linksys and all went well except for the DTV system, , specifically, the HR 34, which now says there are no networked devices, even tho I have two hr22 and one hr 24. Rebooted all devices, but no joy. ONly thing I've noticed in the network setup on the HR 34 is the dread ip address of 169.xxx.xxx.xx in the link-local spot.
    Any thoughts?

7. litex2x

litex2x Legend

Sep 8, 2012
    Either run the network setup again or reset the box to factory.

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    The 169.x.x.x address indicates that the 34 isn't seeing your router to get a dhcp address. Try a known good cable if you're using ethernet or check your CCK / Coax if you're using SWiM.

Or you can set a static address on the 34 and see if you can ping it (and other dvrs) from a PC.