1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professional install really necessary?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by av8orjb, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Aug 3, 2013 #1 of 12
    av8orjb

av8orjb New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    So I've been a Directv customer since 1996 and haven't been in a contract for several years (I should know better). Anyway, I want to add a HD DVR to my Package.. No big deal right? Well they did offer me the free DVR but they insist that an installer come out to install it.. And charge me $49. I inquired about a $49 rebate but no dice. The last experience I had with a DirecTV install wasn't a pleasant one.. A real hack job, loose antenna, no grounding block. ect.. After that I had to spend two days re doing everything the right way. I now have RG6 cable running to all my receivers and to the place where I want to add the HD DVR. I currently have 2 SD receivers and 1 HD DVR. I also have a Zinwall 6X8 installed but will need to be replaced because a couple ports no longer work because of a lightning strike a couple years ago.
    I thought about the Genie but decided against it.
    I refuse to pay for an install job that I already did.. All he would have to do is hook it up, replace the zinwall (set up SWM) and activate the receiver which are all things I am capable of doing. Any suggestions?
    I thought maybe I could say I was just swapping out one of the SD receivers with the new HD DVR then "change my mind after I get it"

I don't know.. I'm just a little frustrated with DirecTV right now.

2. Aug 3, 2013 #2 of 12
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Others will probably have better suggestions, but you could purchase a receiver from Solid Signal or from the "Wanted to Sell" section here at DBStalk. You could also play what we call CSR Roulette. Keep calling until you get a better answer. Also try escalating up from the first CSR you get.

I've found (only personally speaking) that I have had the best CSR luck when I call late at night. Those folks have always been the most helpful to me.

3. Aug 3, 2013 #3 of 12
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They'll likely upgrade you to swim, and make sure you are all coax connected and such. Do you have whole home yet, or is it included? I'd call back and push for a free genie and install. And there's no way I'd get anything other than a genie, and I'd replace one of your sd receivers.

Sometimes it just takes an extra call or two.

They will not install a new eb68 by the way. They are no longer approved as I recall. they only install swim now i think. Thats probably one reason for the install required. May require them to update your sd boxes too.

4. Aug 3, 2013 #4 of 12
    peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    They'll likely upgrade you to swim, and make sure you are all coax connected and such. Do you have whole home yet, or is it included? I'd call back and push for a free genie and install. And there's no way I'd get anything other than a genie, and I'd replace one of your sd receivers.Sometimes it just takes an extra call or two.They will not install a new eb68 by the way. They are no longer approved as I recall. they only install swim now i think. Thats probably one reason for the install required. May require them to update your sd boxes too.

Zinwells 6x8 are installed "everyday". a "simple" HDDVR will not "trigger" a SWM upgrade, so the tech will have to run a second line to the HDDVR.

5. Aug 3, 2013 #5 of 12
    kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Worrying about an install 17 years ago is unrealistic. Best to get the Genie and a couple of Genie minis and be done with it. All this complaining for $49..really? In 1996, nothing was free. Today, you're getting the equipment for free, with free replacement if it dies and 90 days of tech re-roll for any issues. Some customers pay full price. It all depends on your account history and current promotions for active customers. And you didn't do the install yourself, but you can do the whole thing if you like..see below..

As for CSR roulette, it has nothing to do with whether one is nicer than another..it depends on which ones know what they are doing or not, or whether they follow the rules or not.

On the other hand, you can buy the equipment (which is still leased and is NOT yours) and do the install yourself. Go to http://solidsignal.com. Comes with a 90 day warranty. Buy the new Zinwell and other parts you need (those are not leased). Keep in mind, if you install yourself, then you cannot hold DirecTV liable for any issues. If the hardware stops working, you can always buy more.

Since the cabling is just about complete, it should be quick. If you have worries, call and request they ask for a supervisor tech..no guaranty, but it's possible.

So you have 3 options:
    1. Do nothing, keep what you have and save the $49 (get Whole Home DVR service for $3/month)
    2. Pay $49, let DirecTV do all the work and simply click your remote.
    3. Do it yourself..pay a lot more, do all the work and hope it never breaks.

Good luck!

-=K=-

6. Aug 3, 2013 #6 of 12
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Zinwells 6x8 are installed "everyday". a "simple" HDDVR will not "trigger" a SWM upgrade, so the tech will have to run a second line to the HDDVR.

Really? I thought they went out of style last year. Oh well, learn something new everyday. A little surprised by that though to be honest.

And yeah, that'd be why wouldn't it. :)

7. Aug 3, 2013 #7 of 12
    satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    Your best best is to try and get the Genie/Client upgrade for free with new 24 month commitment. It might require you to sign up for the PP though. In that case you'll get the SWM system installed as the Genie only works on SWM. Plus it will be under warranty..........

Best of Luck
    SIG

8. Aug 3, 2013 #8 of 12
    peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Really? I thought they went out of style last year. Oh well, learn something new everyday. A little surprised by that though to be honest.

And yeah, that'd be why wouldn't it. :)
    "rule of thumb" is new installs with any HD equipment get SWM. upgrades from all SD gear and ALL receivers are SWM compatible get SWM. upgrades with HD equipment already that is adding more HD equipment (as in this case) with no SWM remain the same

9. Aug 3, 2013 #9 of 12
    ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    This
    Why would you not want the genie and the 5 tuners? Mini genie yes there is a debate.
    It could vary be regions I guess but my take on D* installers is that at least in my area they have gotten much better than they used to be. Are there any negatives to upgrading to a genie and SWM?

10. av8orjb

av8orjb New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Thanks for all the input
    DirecTV offered me the Gennie with two Clients, free install, free HD for six months and $15 off a month if I set up autopay. I could'nt refuse the offer. I'll also keep the HD DVR as well.

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks for all the input
    DirecTV offered me the Gennie with two Clients, free install, free HD for six months and $15 off a month if I set up autopay. I could'nt refuse the offer. I'll also keep the HD DVR as well.
    Excellent!!!!

12. spartacvs

spartacvs Mentor

Dec 29, 2011
    4. Call Directv again in which he did and got a great deal.