1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Program Guide Question...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Mickdog, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mickdog

Mickdog Godfather

Jul 17, 2004
    Ok, now, I'm not looking for a signal fix. Everthing is fine signal wise. I'm getting all my channels, including locals. I just am wondering why, and it only happens sometimes, (not enough to be annoying), does the program guide not download completely? Let's keep this friendly!

2. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    How exactly do you mean completely? That you don't get the full 2 days worth of guide, or that channels are missing. You realize that the 2 days are from the time the guide is downloaded, and that if you force it to redownload by unplugging the receiver as well.

3. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    My 301 does not hold the entire 44 hours.

4. Pils

Pils AllStar

Sep 20, 2004
    My crappy 811 can hold the guide for 2 hrs and say info not available. Then can have a days worth. It may also ask to download guide, complete the task and I will hit guide again to see the listing and it will redownload everything again. This is only a minute apart and did this 5 times in a row. Can't explain that.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The "44 hour" guide that your reciever uses downloads on demand. If you have not looked at it within 44 hours or so of the time you want to look at now you will have to wait for a download. (Certain other actions seem to erase the 44 hour guide from memory as well.)

This guide is found on every satellite, so the reciever is most likely to do the download from the nearest feed (on the same bird) instead of switching to 119 or 110. (The 9 day guide is only on 110 ... receivers capable of using that grab it in the middle of the night when the receiver is dormant. IIRC the 322 can also be programmed to pre-grab the guide nightly, which fixes the wait for download when the 44 hours expire.)

If you are watching locals (in your market) when you press guide and it needs to download, the guide will look for the 44 hour feed on 105. I've had the occasional download fail on my 301 while watching 119 channels, so I'm not saying it is a signal issue - but the signal of the satellite you are watching at the time you press GUIDE is the important one.

BTW: The two show guide (Now and Next) is on EVERY transponder in the system. This is how E* does the "Browse" function that allows you to look through the program info of everything on now and the next program on each channel. If your receiver has dumped a longer guide you should always have "now/next" information. Now/Next is also good for last minute program changes or other changes to previously downloaded hours.

JL

6. Mickdog

Mickdog Godfather

Jul 17, 2004
    What had happened, is it got about 80 percent done, and then went back to 50 percent and stopped. Just was an odd occurance. I corrected it by cutting the power completely and then turining back on. Other than that, it has always worked fine.

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    My 811 holds 44 hrs of EPG data. No problems. :)
    My Dishplayer hold 9 days of EPG data. No problems. :)

No worries, Mate! :grin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.