1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Program transferred to EHD vanished.

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by plasmacat, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1 of 11
    plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    Over a year later it happened again. I transferred a movie from my 622 to my External hard drive (WD Elements 1 TB) and when I went to watch it last night it was not there. The Movie was the HDNet sneak preview movie "The Perfect Host".
    This happened over a year ago when a concert I transferred disppeared.

2. Jul 3, 2011 #2 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Did you turn off standby/spinoff WD feature ?

Did you try to check SMART tables by Victoria or MHDD ?
    Did you try to scan surface/sectors with remap=on ?

3. Jul 4, 2011 #3 of 11
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    When you did the transfer, did it actually transfer (you looked and saw it) and now it's gone, or it may never have never actually transferred?

4. Jul 4, 2011 #4 of 11
    plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    I don't understand what you are talking about. My WD Elements EHD doesn't have any extraneous software to my knowledge and had never been hooked up to my computer.

In response to tampa8 - yes I checked that it transferred right after I did the transfer.

5. Jul 4, 2011 #5 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Living in Bay Area and missed that WD/Seagate/etc drives has own settings regardless a box. ;)
    Also, running those programs will give you info about health/status of the drive.

6. Jul 4, 2011 #6 of 11
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I don't have a good answer on how it would be there at one time, and now gone. It's not full or was full by chance and that got erased? (I'm reaching, but thinking of something that might help..._

7. Jul 4, 2011 #7 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    She need to check health of the drive first ...

8. Jul 5, 2011 #8 of 11
    plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    First of I am a she, not a he. The drive is not even close to being full.
    I have no idea how to check the drive. Like I said, I never even put this drive on my computer.
    Everything else I put on there is still there and I put quite a few movies on there during the HBO free preview weekend.
    I don't know if you guys remember but maybe a year ago I and others had this happen - there was a thread about it, I called Dish, Dish called me and it seemed to be resolved after awhile.
    It's funny that the show I lost then - a Death Cab for Cutie concert was recently repeated on Palladia so I got it again. Maybe this is my EHD's revenge for getting that program back.

9. Jul 5, 2011 #9 of 11
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    It's possible that the TOC (table of contents) got corrupted. I have found that if you keep your EHD powered up 24/7 the EHD requires a reboot (unplugging the USB, waiting for the message that the external device has been disconnected, then reconnecting the EHD, waiting again for the message that the EHD has been connected. This restores the original TOC. I actually had 2 TOC's since one transfer I had run ran past the 3 AM DVR reboot. Everything that transferred after the reboot ended up in a different TOC that does not disappear after the DVR reboot.

Prior to that happening I had an empty list from the EHD every morning.

To avoid such complications (and to save the life of my EHD) I now keep the EHD unplugged until I need to do a transfer or watch an archived program.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Is the external drive going to sleep [spin down] when is not active each time ?

11. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    I believe it turns itself off when not in use - I don't think the Elements drive has a sleep mode. When I click on my media it takes maybe 30secs before the drive contents show up.