1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Proposed conditions for Comcast/NBCU merger

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by phrelin, Dec 27, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski has proposed conditions for the Comcast/NBCU merger deal. A couple of things about this are clear.

First, this is a recommendation from the Chairman for approval of the merger, albeit conditional.

Second, there is this from an LA Times article:
    There are many conditions in Genachowski's proposed order. So far I can't on line find a copy of what he circulated to the other FCC members Thursday. So it appears all we can read is news articles about a "leaked" copy.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    No, that's the latest Comcast letter. Genachowski Thursday privately circulated to the other FCC members a proposed order to approve the merger

In this age of Wikileaks, I'm surprised I can't locate a copy of Genachowski's memo and attached proposed order.

4. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    "Comcast, which has spent more than $15 million lobbying the government"

I would like to know who's pockets that $15 million is in. With that much money being thrown around I would expect some "Quid pro quo".

5. Kev

Kev Cool Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I would not allow it period. It should be banned. Comcast cannot even manage their own business well. Their customer no service stinks and their prices are high. Tell them to show us they can manage a cable company first. Nothing good comes of these mega mergers. Ask AT&T customers.

6. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Only three conditions should be imposed on this or any other merger.

- The "retransmission concent" rule is repealed relative to local stations and the Supreme Court's wise ruling in Fortnightly is restored.

- Any rights fee dispute over a channel (owend by Comcast or any other corporation) is automatically submitted to binding arbitration where the average price paid for the channel by the 15 largest cable operators will be averaged and imposed as a fair price for the channel on DBS or over-build.

- Comcast is prohibited from merging with or buying any more cable companies forever.

7. Kev

Kev Cool Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I would also require that they divest themselves of the TV stations they own.

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    perhaps arbitration would be sufficient .. It would certainly reduce the leverage Comcast/NBCU would have.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    How well did binding arbitration work for Comcast and DISH with CSN California? Not so much?