1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protection Plan Cost Increase

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by txfeinbergs, Aug 15, 2012.

1. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    Surprised I did not see this on here, or maybe I am just blind, but I received a letter today indicating the protection plan would be going from $5.99 a month to $7.99 a month on October 4th.

They are indicating that two new features are included for that price:
    1. New Equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost.
    2. New Unintentional and accidental damage from the handling of the Directv system.

Both sound like massive BS to me since the small print indicates that you will be locked into another 24 month contract by taking advantage of #1, and what the heck does #2 even mean?

Looks like I will finally be cancelling my protection plan.

You can see more information about this here: directv.com/TXProtection. Hmm, wonder if this is just in Texas??? The webaddress gets redirected to: http://www.directv.com/txprotection/pdf/Texas_BuckSlip.pdf

2. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    #2 sounds like the "dog ate my remote" problem will be covered.:)

3. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Yeah. The dog ate your remote or you dropped your receiver or you ran over the satellite cable with your lawn mower, that is now covered. Before those options were chargable. Well worth the additional $2 you'll be paying IMO. But I am a bit biased...

Also free upgrade every two years is good, yes there is a two year commitment but you'll have that any way if you do a paid leased receiver. No idea on if you'd get an HR21 replacing an HR22 but I'm sure that would be an option! =P

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If upgrade actually meant better model, and not you might get an HR21 as an upgrade to an HR22, it might have some worth.

5. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    Here is the fine print on the free upgrade:

Your upgrade can range from any additional receiver up to an Advanced Whole Home HD DVR which
    may include up to three (3) client receivers.
    • Any upgrade to your DIRECTV system, including those offered as benefit of the Plan, will reset your
    DIRECTV programming commitment to two (2) years and any applicable monthly fees as a result of the
    upgrade. You will be subject to the terms of your DIRECTV customer agreement including monthly equipment
    fees and early termination fees.
    • Electing to upgrade as set forth above does not automatically extend your term commitment under
    the Plan.
    • Dedicated technical troubleshooting professionals available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Doesn't the next to last bullet contradict the one above it?

6. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK

It sounds like it, but I think what that means is you're not required to keep the plan for another 12 months, "Extend your commitment under THE PLAN"
    I think it's poor wording, you'll definitely have a 24 month agreement on any equipment upgrade for leased equipment. The only thing I can see it not requiring an agreement for is say a whole home upgrade where all you need is a SWM and Decas, all equipment already being MRV compatible.

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The communications just started going out and it's a specific market rollout so it's not national. Which is why there hasn't been anything posted yet. You're probably one of the first customers to get the notification.

Upgrades still fall under the same upgrade plan that is currently in place so this is not a new system it just automatically enables you for a free upgrade every 24 months. This is the first time there's been a guaranteed time frame that any and all customers, who subscribe to PP, would be able to know 100% they're eligible for a free upgrade that is backed up in writing.

8. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    That means an HR34, plus up to three of the not yet released HR34 clients, if I read it correctly....

9. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    ...except it's not clear to me what D* thinks an "upgrade" is.

I have an HR20-700, HR21-100 and HR20-100 as well as an H21-200.

From my perspective, the only "upgrade" that is real would be to the HR24 and the H24 or H25. Simply replacing what I have with refurbs of similar models is not an "upgrade" to my way of thinking.

Is this just another example of D*'s "doublespeak"? Sometimes I think DirecTV was founded by people who worshipped Orwell's Animal Farm.:)

BTW, I do and have subscribed to the PP for many years.

Somehow, I doubt I'll see a "real world" upgrade in this new (and more expensive) PP. I don't much care for an increased premium with the added insult to my already compromised intelligence with a phony "upgrade" offer.

If, by some oversight, I have a jaded perception of D*'s definition of an upgrade, and I really will get an "upgrade", I'm prepared to get out my crow fork and go to work.:)

I'm afraid this is just more BS. First it was the non-renwal of a renewal of the 24 month free HD Access that had to be "explained away", and now we get a non-upgrade upgrade offer.

Have these people no shame?

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    DIRECTV has 5 levels of receivers currently.

SD
    SD DVR
    HD
    HD DVR
    HMC

An upgrade is going from one receiver type to another. DIRECTV does not care about model numbers as they are all functionally equivelant. The HR20 does have OTA in it so if it were being replaced for a technical reason you would get another or an AM 21. Since it cannot do 3D they can be swapped with a 3D capable receiver when appropriate. The HR20 is also no longer recoverable so as they go through the system these scenarios will be less likely. I only bring them up because people like to point out that.

So it is an upgrade it's just not a replacement program to get you the "latest and greatest" model numbers.

Like equipment should not be ordered to replace itself unless it's due to a technical problem. Hence not an upgrade.

11. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    So let me get this correct:

With the PP, I can upgrade(?) every two years for no additional charge but a new 2 year commitment. Since I haven't upgraded since MRV came out, which I believe was longer than 2 years ago (correct me if I'm wrong), I should be able to upgrade my H24 to a HDDVR when this goes in effect.

12. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008

More information will be available when it launches. There are still specifics whch haven't been defined. This is one of those.

13. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    So letters are going out to some customers, yet the program specifics are still TBD? Good grief.

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Not sure if TBD is correct but perhaps TBC (to be communicated) is more appropriate.

15. rgs825

rgs825 Cool Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Sounds like the same person who sent out the "you will be getting 2 years of HD for free" postcards decided that fiasco wasn't enough of a mind game. :nono2:

16. ub1934

ub1934 Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    UpState NY
    +1 :rolleyes:

17. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    There is one other fine print item that may interest you. You have to be enrolled in the Protection plan for 12 months before you are eligible for the free receiver upgrade:

"Being enrolled in the Plan for greater than twelve (12) consecutive months also allows you to upgrade
    your DIRECTV hardware every (2) two years from the initial date of installation of your DIRECTV system or
    from the date of any prior upgrade received."

Also, the letter states you have to wait until after October 4th to find out what your free receiver upgrade options are.

18. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    So are a Pinto and a Lexus.

19. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I own three of my HD DVRs and according to the current PP when one of them fails and is replaced I will also own the replacement receiver with no commitment extension. I wonder if they will now try to wiggle on this provision. :confused:

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I own 5 different units here as well...and as far as what I have read...nothing on that front will be changing.