1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Protection plan doesn't cover owned receivers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by miketunes, Sep 13, 2012.

1. miketunes

miketunes New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    I'm a bit annoyed, I thought I was told the protection plan covered all equipment I had hooked up. I have an old tivo HR-210 I had been given by my parents (they no longer use directv). The modem seems to not be working so I can't get the latest software update to get my local channels. I called directv and they say the receiver isn't covered as it's too old, though I can pay to upgrade to a newer receiver. Is this correct or did I just get a bad agent?

2. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Well, Half true,

You could get it replaced with the right agent, But there will be a commitment since your going from Owned to leased.
    This happed twice to me. Once with a samsung sd receiver and a samsung Tivo. One got replaced with a D11 and a 12 month commitment, and an R15 repalced the other with a 24 month commitment.

But now I think they are all 24 month commitments

My guess, you'll get the HR21.

Send your receiver to Weaknees.com and get it fixed, or get a new lease from Directv or solidsignal.

3. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    If the receiver was already swapped out, on any account for any reason, at some point then it's no longer covered.

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    You received upgrades not replacements and there is not an agreement with a technical replacement.

5. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    They weren't upgrades, they were defective receivers replaced.
    Apon activation of a leased receiver from non leased brought on a commitment. Now if that wasn't the case then Directv pulled a fast one.
    If I called up with my leased receiver defective then it would have been no issue.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Hmmm... if I bought a new car with a 10-year warranty, would it cover my old beater of a 2nd car? :scratch:

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Did you have it active on your account and it broke while you had the PP, or are you trying to get it to work and added the PP hoping it would be covered?

8. miketunes

miketunes New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    I had it on my account for about 3 weeks. It's not the main one in the house so I didn't really notice locals weren't working until the other day - and then read about needing to dial out with a modem to fix it. Agent told me only the originally installed receivers are covered under the protection plan, not anything I add. I just signed up for directv about 7 weeks ago, so I'm already committed to 2 years.

9. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    That's not correct. I've added numerous owned receivers to my protection plan coverage over the years. The latest was an HR23 I purchased a little over a year ago from an ex DirecTV employee. It was activated just fine with no strings.

When MPEG-4 was being introduced customers owning DirecTV with TiVo receivers were offered an owned HR20 with no strings in an "exchange" program even though they didn't want the TiVo receivers returned. That's how I got my first HR20. That program has long, long since expired.

10. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    I agree, just had a old HR20 replace under the PP a couple a months ago, it was replaced at no charged and flagged as owned without any hassle. Verified the status last week becuase I added a HR34 and decided to disconnect the owned unit - it was still flagged as owned, sitting in my closet at the moment

11. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    call back ask for access card services and talk to them

12. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    The questions seems to stem from OLD receivers. I never heard of the model he was referring to. I know I see from time to time that people still get TiVo 10-250's swapped. As far as I know, all receivers are covered under the PP. I would probably state that if they were not covering specific models they should tell me that when one is activated and or also give me a time frame to swap it for free before it is not longer eligible to to be done for free.

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    So how this happened was you just got Directv about 7 weeks ago, presumably with the protection plan, then 3 weeks ago added a broken HR10-250 to the acct and want them to repair/replace it. And we really have no way of knowing if back in the day your parents were given a free upgrade to an HR2x model to replace the older Direct HD Tivo....this is truly a pretty thin one. You might in all fairness just call them and work out a deal on a newer model....the HR10 probably cant get your locals anyway, even with a software update, they can only get MPEG2 stations anyway. About the only thing an HR10 is good for OTA recordings....

14. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    While I sort of understand this I still think DirecTV has a responsibility to let him know at the time he is activating the receiver that it is not covered under the PP.

15. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    No, normally I wouldn't. But if I bought the beater from the same dealership and they said, with this new car, if you purchase this extended warranty, it will cover "all vehicles purchased from our dealership". Then I would expect it to be covered.

Attached Files:

16. miketunes

miketunes New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks for the input. I called got a much nicer rep. He said he would replace it if it hasn't already been replaced, but it appears it had already been replaced. Guess my parents had done that upgrade awhile ago and just had the old unit left. He did do more troubleshooting and it seems it had old dial up numbers, so it's now connecting and getting the 6.4 upgrade - so hopefully it'll be good to go.

17. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I've had two owned receivers replaced under the Protection Plan over the last year-ish. The replacements are also owned.

Mike

18. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    I *believe* all HR10-250s were owned as they were prior to the change in own to lease in 2007 that started with the H20s and HR20s.

I have had 2 HR10-250s replaced over the last 2 years under the Protection Plan. I was sent refurbished HR2x units (just like Mike) and the replacements were also noted as owned units. They did not ask for the HR10-250 back as they were too old and just told me to throw them away.

I added one back to an account that had been idle for a while, called and activated it - the Hard Drive died about 2 weeks later. Called and they replaced it under the Protection Plan - no questions asked.

Quite frankly, I was surprised anyone with a HR10-250 would not have used this to replace all their non-MPEG4 units over the past several years.

As to the comment about being too old to be replaced, about 2 weeks ago I was on with a D* CSR and made a comment about the HR10-250 and he stated they were still great units as a SD DVR and many people, including himself, would like to have another one.

19. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    The issue stems from the unit having been replaced before and a CSR that relayed the wrong information