1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Protection Plan & HR20-100 with bad HDMI output

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Birdieman30, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Aug 8, 2010 #1 of 35
    Birdieman30

Birdieman30 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Got up a couple of days ago and had no picture. After some troubleshooting I determined the HDMI output on my HR20-100 (about 3 years old) has gone bad. I know it is the output on the receiver as I took my whole A/V system, cables, and TV out of the loop and connected a separate monitor with a new HDMI cable to the receiver and still no picture. After some discussion with 2 CSR's they advised that since the component ouput works, D* will not replace the receiver even though I have the protection plan. They insist all I need is the component output. Needless to say I was not happy although I am up and working with a component and digital coax hookup. Forget the fact that I did all the trouble shooting without D* having to roll a truck. I have been with D* for 11 years. On a side note, I just had a H20 receiver replaced under the protection plan about 5 days before this incident and don't know if that played into this. I saw a similar thread about this on the receiver forum with no good resolution. Am I stuck with this receiver until it goes out completely? Unfortunately I believe my service commitment has about 18 months as I upgraded an SD receiver to HD about 6 months ago, so I am not in a good threatening position.

2. Aug 8, 2010 #2 of 35
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I have an HR21 with a bad HDMI port that they refuse to replace and I have the PP as well. It's been bad for months and no matter how many times I call the answer is the same, use component and no replacement.

3. Aug 8, 2010 #3 of 35
    davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    That is complete BS! No one should have to suffer with a half-working receiver, especially after paying for the protection plan.

4. Aug 8, 2010 #4 of 35
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    :nono: What a stupid "rule." I'd tell them I want a replacement for 1080p & I don't have component or coax/dig audio cables.

5. Aug 8, 2010 #5 of 35
    ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Sounds like the unit is "dead", no power:rolleyes:

I would never tell D* anything that would elicit that kind of response.
    If they want to play hardball, then we should do likewise.

6. Aug 8, 2010 #6 of 35
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Don't forget, "...smells like electrical burn." ;)

7. Aug 8, 2010 #7 of 35
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Tell them that your want to view 1080P PPV that needs HDMI to work.

8. Aug 8, 2010 #8 of 35
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    This same subject keeps coming up, here is the solution:

Tell them you were watching TV with the family and someone "smelled something electrical" near your TV. You started smelling around and discovered your HR smelled kinda funny. All of the sudden there was a loud humming bzzzzrrrrpppp electrical arcing sound and smoke started pouring out the back of it like it was at a BBQ competition. Your wife is pissed that her house smells and your little girl is afraid to go to bed because she is afraid the house in going to burn down in her sleep. You went to look at it and it gave you a little shock, so you unplugged it. You got brave and plugged it back in and now it does nothing, but the TV and all that still works.

When they have you move it to another outlet, just pretend like you are but don't, smack the entertainment center real hard with your hand, yell an obscenity, and tell them it still won't power up.

Ba-da-bing, replacemnt receiver!

9. Aug 8, 2010 #9 of 35
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Maybe a better argument is that you don't pay for HD so you can use componet cables. Besides isn't their one resolution that requires a HDMI cable? Go with that instead.

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I did, still no go.

11. bertman64

bertman64 AllStar

Aug 24, 2007
    They would only replace with a refurb. The new HR-24's sound superior and can be bought for about 175.00. Buy one, send this one back, ask for some credits and maybe cancel the Protection Plan so you will come out ahead within 24 months!

12. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    i've had this problem twice and twice dtv refused to change the unit. so both times i complained to the customer advocacy team and both times my unit was replaced....free, no s&h, no contract extension. the link for the team can be found on the investors page.

13. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Ya. And what about flush mount installs where only HDMI cables were run through a wall or conduit? Not ideal, I know, but people have them.

14. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    A bad HDMI port would be trouble for me. Both of my HR22's are in a closet and feed the TV's in other rooms via HDMI in the walls.

15. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm in my eleventh year with DirecTV and, overall, happy with them. The one thing that has always bugged me is the games we have to do to get them to do what is right for a customer. This should be a slam dunk decision. A key feature has stopped working. Replace it without the need for escalation, jumping through hoops are lying to get them to do what they should.

16. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    If it won't turn on they will replace it.

17. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    dtv's rationale is if the unit turns on and outputs both audio and video, they don't consider the unit bad, even if you have protection plan.

18. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    And I'd be fine with a refurb. I've asked about credits if I go out and buy a new unit, they said no.

19. Birdieman30

Birdieman30 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    I assume that means "insure" it won't turn on.

20. Birdieman30

Birdieman30 AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    What is sad about the games one must play to get D* to man up and treat long time customers right, is the money being thrown at new or potential new customers. A family member, who is a former D* customer and now with E*, receives weekly offers from D* with free equipment, free installs, teaser packages, and even an offer to pay any E* early termination fee up to $200.