1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protection Plan mysteriously on my last statement

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mcl77, Jul 25, 2011.

1. mcl77

mcl77 AllStar

Nov 25, 2008
    Never had the plan before, and ive never asked for it. But this thing was on my last statement and said the $6 was going into effect in August. Anyways I cancelled it.

Anyone know how this couldve gotten on there??

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I believe the official explaination is called a "glitch". ;)

3. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Yea, I've actually seen several of my clients get this "glitch" recently - of course, none of them even noticed their bill going up when it got added. But then that's why everyone needs to look at their bills EVERY month, including myself.

4. TMarshall

TMarshall Cool Member

Dec 21, 2006
    And I'll keep on waiting for that "glitch" when they forget to charge me $6 for a receiver.

5. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    I got the same thing on my last bill and i called in and they credited me back the money. last thing i want is the pp.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Did you happen to have any service calls recently? DirecTV has a habit of signing people up for the PP when they get a service call to make the service call free. While it is a legitimate way of getting people signed up for the PP, it seems that many CSRs don't fully explain to the customer how they are getting the free service call.

- Merg

7. dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    It's not legitimate if the customer doesn't agree to sign up for the plan after an informed explanation of what it entails.

8. mcl77

mcl77 AllStar

Nov 25, 2008
    2 weeks ago i upgraded to an hd dvr and the tech was out here on a thurs and friday to complete the job.

no mention of a protection plan though.

9. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    When I had a service call under the PP, I was asked to sign a satisfactory completion of service and the small print had an acknowledgement agreeing to the PP. If I didn't have it already, I would have objected.

10. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    I'm waiting for that one too. Maybe they forget that I have Choice Extra and charge me for Select?

11. hombresoto

hombresoto Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    The tech most likely added it without permission to get the extra couple bucks. Happens all the time. Not that I engage in that practice but many techs I know do. "sign here, here, and here" third sig signs them up for the protection plan. one tech puts the lease agreement over the work order covering up what the customer is signing for. His protection plan metric is 98% . Thats just wrong...

12. Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    Actually sounds criminal to me.

13. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is the exact scenario that happened to me!

I had a "service call" to replace a receiver with a DVR because due to the offer at the time, a service man was required to actually deliver the unit and hook it up.

I carefully read what I am signing and there was NOTHING about the PP on the document I signed except a box that WAS NOT checked.

I always examine my "recent activity" on the web after anything is done with my account and sure enough there was the PP. I called and canceled it but it actually turned out OK since they mailed me the contract terms which I read with interest. After reading them, I determined the PP was not for me.

14. mcl77

mcl77 AllStar

Nov 25, 2008
    sneaky bastard.
    Im pissed.
    The techs name is Sheik and his phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx.
    Tell him what a douche he is.

[Mod Edit: We do not allow unpublished phone numbers to be posted.]

15. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    man you should take that down.

16. mcl77

mcl77 AllStar

Nov 25, 2008
    sorry about that
    Its a good thing i check my statement after every month or i probably never wouldve noticed the $6 extra bucks a month.
    This clown has probably done this to everyone around here.

I already let him know about it. haha

17. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    They should fire those who do that. Period.

18. hombresoto

hombresoto Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    They did fire him about a month ago for other reasons (ie over charging for "custom work" which is standard, whining and general bs. He installed DirecTV for almost 9 years and was fired 3 or 4 times and always came back after a while. He was a contractor tech.
    Now he works for Dish Network, :lol::hurah:

19. bobcamp1

bobcamp1 Icon

Nov 8, 2007
    The same thing was done to me, three times in six months. I had to call all three times to get it resolved. I also had to call back a fourth time because they did charge me $7 because their system says I canceled on day 31, even though I called the moment I saw the discrepancy on day 29. So I sent a complaint to Ellen Filipiak. I haven't heard back yet. I also complained to my state's AG. Three times is either intentional or complete incompetence.

I recorded all six phone conversations, so I know word for word what was said. They explicitly mentioned waiving the installation fee all three times because I was such a loyal customer. They never once mentioned the protection plan.

The second time I called back to cancel it, the CSR said that normally people get the installation fee waived by signing up for the protection plan, but she said I didn't need to do that.