1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protection Plan Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by koko, Mar 14, 2009.

1. koko

koko AllStar

Aug 17, 2007
    I need my dish repointed. If I sign up for the protection plan now, and then call for a service call, will it be free? Does it take effect right away?

Can I cancel the protection plan after the service call? Or is there a commitment? How does it work?

Help me save $80!

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    If you add the protection plan there will be a charge for the service call still but it will be a lot less. It takes 30 days after adding it for service calls to be free.

Once you add it you have to keep it for 12 months.

3. Badger

Badger Legend

Jan 30, 2006
    I had a tuner problem with a HR20 last October and when I called and talked to a tech CSR I was given the choice of a $49 for a service call or $5.99 a month for protection plan with a one year commitment to it. I took the protection plan and the next day a installer came and my HR20 was replaced with a HR22 with no charge for the service call.

4. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    So you paid $72 to save $49.... Good choice :D

BTW I have the PP, so it is a good to have, although they used to give you "deals" on equipment upgrades if you had the PP, atleast it seemed that way.

5. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    The service calls at certain points have been $80 or $49. I can't remember which is actually the current price. If you have a service issue without the plan and upon calling agree to add the plan, then they generally give you a break on the price of the needed service call, but not free as has been stated.

You would also be agreeing to keep the PP in place for 12 months. If you cancel before that time, I think there may be a cancellation charge and/or they may also charge back something on a service call that had been provided within your PP commitment period.

6. TEN89

TEN89 Legend

Jun 27, 2003
    he would have had to pay for the receiver too. so it was a good choice.

7. rocket69

rocket69 AllStar

Oct 26, 2008
    fix it your self or better yet get you bud over and make him watch the tv when you messing with the dish. once you get your signal back to par go blow $80 at a strip club.

2 tools need

7/16 or 1/2 for ka/ku

sharpie/magic marker

Mark X half on mast other half on dish that slides on the mast ..

8. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    You can cancel the Protection Plan before a year is up the penalty for doing so used to be $10. I don't know if that has changed.

9. wmj5

wmj5 Godfather

Aug 26, 2007
    You have to have the protection plan for 30 days before you can use it, which they don't charge you for that 30 days.

10. Badger

Badger Legend

Jan 30, 2006
    Well I would have had to pay the $49 anyway so I figured the extra $23 was cheap insurance for the next 12 months! :)

11. Badger

Badger Legend

Jan 30, 2006
    Wasn't the case when I needed the service call in my post up aways on this thread. I was charged for a partial month on my next months bill starting when the service call was done and no 30 day wait! I've been with D* for 9 years and have a $100 + package maybe that was why. :)

12. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    No, receivers are replaced at no charge regardless of PP coverage. Only extra charge would be shipping if you don't have the PP.

13. ToiletKitty

ToiletKitty Legend

Aug 15, 2007
    A service call goes for $49.95 now. Also, there is a $10 charge if you disconnect the protection plan before 12 months.

14. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    When did this come into effect? I was told a couple months ago that it was $79.00.

15. ToiletKitty

ToiletKitty Legend

Aug 15, 2007
    October, if I recall correctly.

16. Prince Oz

Prince Oz Legend

Jan 15, 2009
    From Alien VS Predator

It is better to have it and not need it,
    Than to need it and not have it.

17. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Last time I did mine, my dish was on a pole outside the dinning room window, I turned my stereo up so I could here it at the dish and put it on the Signal meter, of course it was just a round dish....

18. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    All services available under the PP are available on a pay as you go basis. If you figure a minimum 2 year suscription that's $120.00 for the PP. You would need to have some pretty bad luck to offset that cost.

But, to each his own...

19. Prince Oz

Prince Oz Legend

Jan 15, 2009
    Very true. Many people do have bad luck. Just look at all the posts on this site. I always get extend warranties on all my equipment (TV, Blu Ray, Receiver, Computer, Ect.). I have had the PP for 7 years. I guess that would be what $840 ( don't really care) and have used it only once. Probably saved me about $300. Some of us find the added protection worth it even if we do not use it. A 3 year extended warranty for my TV was $400. Hopefully, my TV will never go out or need service. I look at the PP as $6 a month. That is a lot better than having something go wrong and have to come up with possible $400 + dollars all at once because I did not have a PP or get the PP plan when something does go wrong and wait 30 days before I can watch TV again. NOT. Wife would have you know what in a jar.:(

20. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    You could replace your entire system for less than $200 inluding the service call. Just think if you'd of put the $6 in the jar, there wouldn't be any room for the you know what...:D