1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protection Plan Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bikemanAMD, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Jan 1, 2013 #1 of 22
    bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD AllStar

May 1, 2011
    Hi All,

My Quesiton is currently we're on Protection Plan Premier, is it possible to downgrade to the $5.99 Plan? without any penalty or anything with the price increase coming, so have to save Money on things

2. Jan 1, 2013 #2 of 22
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    How long have you had it? The terms don't mention any exceptions for what you are wanting to do, so if that's the case, the fee would be $10, if you've had it less than a year. Even paying at, you'd make it back the first month that doesn't have the charge.

3. Jan 1, 2013 #3 of 22
    bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD AllStar

May 1, 2011
    Say about 4 months on this protection plan, originally had the $5.99 plan, then we upgraded to this protection plan, but I realize we may not need it protecting now our TV's, Computers, and other items.

4. Jan 1, 2013 #4 of 22
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Even if I did have to pay the $10, I'd still do it.

5. Jan 1, 2013 #5 of 22
    bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD AllStar

May 1, 2011
    Yeah Same here, still gonna do it, and save some money, versus paying $19.99 a month for just using only Directv protection part at times...

6. Jan 2, 2013 #6 of 22
    yall2

yall2 Mentor

Dec 5, 2010
    FWIW, I just had lightening take out my 50" Samsung TV. My house insurance paid for a brand new one.

7. Jan 2, 2013 #7 of 22
    n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    Most home insurance policies have large deductibles, unless you pay an arm and a leg for it.

8. Jan 2, 2013 #8 of 22
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Of course, many people do have deductibles on their home owners's insurance. While I don't have the Premier plan, it would take a good long while before my monthly payments added up to my deductible.

- Merg

9. Jan 2, 2013 #9 of 22
    yall2

yall2 Mentor

Dec 5, 2010
    I had $200 deductable, but my TV is $2400.
    I have the basic DirecTV Protection plan to cover the small costs of that equipment, but the big stuff is covered under home owners.

10. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    And some of us can't afford homeowner's insurance.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And some of us have lot higher deductibles...

- Merg

12. yall2

yall2 Mentor

Dec 5, 2010
    Ok, was just trying to be helpful.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The most common deductible seems to be $500.

The drunk that lives next door has an interesting way of using his homeowner's insurance. He just lets things go until they're so bad they have to be fixed. A few years ago, the drain pipe from the kitchen sink began leaking and he just let it go and ended up with a massive repair job that made his deductible seem small by comparison. He said that his wife had remarked on how much better the drain was "all of a sudden". That's because the water was draining behind his walls. After a while, they finally began to notice wet sheet rock and water leaking thru the walls and running down his outside walls (the kitchen is on the second floor of a split level house).

Amazing how some people live.

Rich

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Not being argumentative... Just pointing a difference...

- Merg

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It comes down to weighing how often you get hit by lightning versus the $239.88 a year you pay whether you get hit or not.

Of course the PPP covers more than lightning strikes, but that's something each much evaluate for themselves.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Can those same people afford to insure just their electronics?

17. Singe0255

Singe0255 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Some interesting info about the Premier Protection Plan:

Customers who subscribe to this service have access to a special tech support department just for Protection Plan Premier.

Subscribers are automatically routed to this department by the automated system, bypassing many of the common transfers associated with customer service.

This department is staffed 100% by agents in the US who are specially trained on nearly all common consumer electronics devices (computers, home theater, mobile devices, television, etc.).

They are also trained in nearly every aspect of D* customer administration (upgrades, billing, tech support, network functions, etc.).

Onsite service for non-D* products is contracted to local businesses who specialize in such services. This coverage helps stimulate local economies where the cost of these types of services is prohibitive to the average customer.

Some might find these benefits nearly worth the price of admission, but especially so considering the coverage that this service provides.

18. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    P/P Premier has replaced two computer screens for what I thought were insignificant issues with dead lines of pixels and replaced my kid's $140 gaming mouse. It has been well worth the investment for us.

19. caseyf5

caseyf5 Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Bethpage,...
    Hello Brubear,

People who have the PP Premier with the worst luck and or very expensive electronic equipment are the greatest beneficiaries of the plan. I am glad you had the plan. It is nice to have a protection plan and not need it rather than not have it and need it. :hurah:

20. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    When we moved into our new home in 2010 lightning struck the ground a quarter of a mile from the house. Damage was widespread for both homeowners and the power company. That experience plus having high end equipment makes the PPP worth the price.