1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Protection plan question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by akw4572, Apr 11, 2013.

1. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    I had a new install yesterday, and the installer said a new part of the protection plan is you get new receivers every two years as part of the plan. Anyone heard of that?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Go to the "Better Deals to New Customers" thread. In post #13 RunnerFL posted his e-mail from DirecTV confirming equipment upgrades every two years with the Protection Plan as long as you agree to a two year commitment.

3. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    You get an upgrade. But if it's new receivers, who knows.

4. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    And of course if the receivers happen to be DVRs and you change them you get a nice shiny new empty hard drive to start saving things to also. Whee.

TB

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I don't know if we have figured out for sure what they mean by "upgrade" every 2 years. If it goes by their previous meaning of "upgrade" then it will only allow you to change receiver types for free every two years. For example if you have an SD receiver you want to upgrade to an HD recevier, or HD DVR etc.

I haven't seen for sure or not if they will be allowing "upgrades" like most of us think of it, meaning newer versions of the same type. For example upgrading from an HR21 to an HR24 (or HR25, HR26, etc. in the future), or from an HR34 to the HR44/HR54, etc.

6. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Yes under the new protection plan you can upgrade every two years, that how I got my HR34

7. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    Thanks everybody, I'll stick with the plan if that's part of it. I had not heard of that prior to yesterday.

8. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    what happens if a person gets the protection plan ,then 1 year later your dvr breaks,do they still upgrade you to a newer model dvr? or do you only get an upgrade after 2 years? and since the contract ends after 2 years do they still give you other incentives to stay besides just the newer model dvr to stay another 2 years?

9. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    1 time two year agreement or a new two year agreement every 2 years?

10. joshjr

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I dont think its that easy. What about someone with the PP that has owned equipment. Do we get to upgrade to new owned equipment and then have a 2 year equipment or is the new equipment leased and then a 2 year agreement. There are questions to be answered for sure.

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Any time a leased receiver/DVR/Genie breaks it is replaced for free without a new agreement, and should have no effect on your "new every two" receiver upgrade through the new protection plan.

I'm still waiting to hear a bit more about this supposed new "upgrade plan". If they really aren't going to let people upgrade from an older version to a newer version of the same model (say from an HR21 to an HR24) then I don't really see what they are doing here. They have pretty much always offered a free upgrade between reciever types near/after a customers commitment has run out, whether they have the protection plan or not. Does this mean they are going to stop offering that unless you are paying for this new protection plan? If so they better get ready for a lot more people to start switchign providers every two years.

12. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Just to be clear this is only with the new ppp not the standard one

13. joshjr

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Which one is that? There are three currently.

14. joshjr

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    If its the one that is like $25 a month and covers all electronics in the house, thanks but no thanks. I shouldn't have to carry insurance on non DirecTV equipment to get that deal.

15. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Its the protection plan premier, directv is not going to give out free receivers every two years for the cheaper other two-thats one of the advantageous for having the 3rd highest one. Like if the customer has the other 2 the offer is not going to appear in the order management system. The OP must have the ppp for the installer to mention that.

16. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Nope!

No, just...no.

It's the $5.99 (soon to be $7.99) plan (obviously in addition to the $19.99 and $24.99 PPP and PPP w/ ADH). For the terms it see the below link. This is not in effect yet, but does go into effect soon.

Protection Plan T&C

17. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That is not what I was told in the "training" today. folks from N.E.W who runs DirecTV protection plan, said that the "cheaper" plan is increasing to $7.99. This "new" cheaper plan has the benefit of upgrades every two years, with commitment of 2 years

18. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    If its owned then No the upgrade equipment will be leased

19. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If people took the time to read my post #2 and go where I told them they would have seen that.

20. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    I have the 7.99 PP and got my upgrade from an HR20 to the HR34