1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protection Plan / Upgrade to Genie Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vachief, Jul 17, 2013.

1. vachief

vachief AllStar

Jul 17, 2007
    I am a little unclear on what the protection plan free upgrade entails. I currently have 2 HD-DVRs and do not have the protection plan. If I sign up for the protection plan, will be I able to upgrade one of my HD-DVRs to the Genie at no cost (after the 30 day waiting period)? I currently am in a 1 year agreement due to free NFL ST this year, if that affects anything.

2. Hotelone

Hotelone Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Central...
    I don't think the protection plan has anything to do with free or lower cost upgraded equipment, it's the length of time you've been with D* and how may upgrades and freebies you've received from them during that time. I have the protection plan but I received a free HR34, C31 and installation last September because I've been with them since '94 receiving just the usual equipment upgraded equipment. My protection plan kicked in last week when my C31 was acting up and they sent out a tech (pretty quickly) who replaced both switches, the LMB, tuned the dish and replaced the HR34 with a new HR44 at no cost. You can only find out what they'll give you for what cost by giving them a call, ask for Customer Retention when the CSR answers, and let them know what you'd like to get and they'll look up your account and let you know what they'll give you.

3. vachief

vachief AllStar

Jul 17, 2007
    My understanding is that the protection plan was recently improved by adding a provision for getting upgrades to your equipment every two years. According to directv.com:

An upgrade to the latest equipment
    every 2 years

Eligibility for an upgrade to the latest equipment every 2 years with a renewed 24 month agreement

I am not clear by this if it means I can go from an HD-DVR to a Genie.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I took advantage of the Protection Plan free upgrade offer in May. My HR24-500 was replaced with a HR34-700.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It doesn't cost anything to call and ask them.
    Just tell them you are not ready to change if they do not tell you what you want to hear.

6. h_a_h_3

h_a_h_3 New Member

Apr 8, 2008
    I had somehow gotten signed up for Protection Plan in Sept 2011 after swapping an HR21 (leased) with bad hard drive for another HR21 (leased). In May I got an email from Directv about the Protection Plan new enhancement/benefit of new receiver every two years. Called them and got HR44 + C41 installed for free, gave back the HR21 (added a viewing location, now have two Directv connected TVs and before only had one). Directv customer for 10+ years, no Protection Plan until 2011 (preferred to buy my own bleeding-edge HD/HDTivo boxes before the HR21). Before this PP enhancement I had called about "the genie" and was told $450 to install genie + client + CCK blah blah. Had Sunday Ticket for several years before quitting last year, not sure if that matters at all.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The protection plan has a lot do with upgrades now as the new benefit is a "free" upgrade every two years. However tenure and account history might also come in to place if you dont have the PP

8. Hotelone

Hotelone Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Central...
    The protection plan has a lot do with upgrades now as the new benefit is a "free" upgrade every two years. However tenure and account history might also come in to place if you dont have the PP

Thanks for the additional info, I wasn't sure.

9. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    You need to call and see what is offered and be ready to try a few times if you can't get a satisfactory offer after a few calls wait a month or so and try again.

10. Starrbuck

Starrbuck Legend

Jun 25, 2004
    DFW, TX
    Also call and tell the computer "retention" and you'll get people who are a lot more willing to work with you if you say you are thinking about leaving.

11. Dukester619

Dukester619 Cool Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I called yesterday for my annual NFL ST free attempt and was very pleased to also get the free Genie upgrade offer. I got the ST Max package for $75 total which I was happy with but I decided to do a little research on the Genie upgrade before I jumped on it. After doing some reading I decided it was a no brainer and I have an installer coming out today to do the install.

I have a couple of questions however. I currently have 3 HD DVR (an HR23 and 2 HR21's). The retentions lady said I could use 2 of my my exiting DVR's as clients so as to keep my programing and series links, but when I went to the order confirmation person they said my order is for the Genie and 2 clients. I suppose this is good since I should now have the option when the installer gets here, but I am looking for opinions on which way to go.

Are the clients a lot better then my existing HD DVR's? I like having the two extra hard drive available and from the first look I see that the mini client does not have a component out, which I use on one of my recievers for another TV in the office. I also use RF to control all my recievers because all three are split to other rooms.

Also, I am currently self networked for Whole Home using ethernet. Should I get them to install the DTV coaxial network (I forget what they call it) for better performance?

Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated!

1 person likes this.
  12. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Keep the HDDVRs instead of the clients. Let the installer connect the CCK and after he leaves disconnected put it away and connect the Genie via ethernet

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The Whole Home via coax is great, and don't refuse that install; it'll help clean up wires and my experience in two locations is it's rock solid.

The receiver question is complex and really depends on your own druthers. Study up a tad on what the Genie clients do and don't do, then make your decision. You could even do one client and one extra DVR.....

14. Dukester619

Dukester619 Cool Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks, that's exactly what I ended up doing. I moved the HR23 to the bedroom and had the Genie (HR44 500 BTW) installed in its place in the living room with a C41-700 client replacing the other HR21 in the kitchen. He also changed my Whole Home to coax which I was really glad to see. He also gave me an extra RF remote for use in my office where I split the HDMI to. So far I am very happy with the way it all worked out.

I forgot to mention that the retention person also through in 2 months of all the premiums (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime etc.), something she called Pick Five. First time I have heard of that one. So I ended up with a grand total of $30 off for 1 year, ST Max, new Genie and client and the Pick Five package all for $75. This has been the best retention call to date for me.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can understand dumping a 21 series DVR, but why didn't you get it replaced with another DVR? I really don't understand why people replace DVRs with a box that adds nothing to your system. I'd also replace that 23.

Rich

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The deal they offered me this week was for a genie and two minis. A DVR would have cost more plus it would have been what the installer had on the truck. Our installer yesterday had new 44s, but his DvRs were all reconditioned models.

17. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    I agree Rich. I find no appeal in the mini Genie. The Genie is very nice with 5 tuners and a 1TB HDD. I just added the Genie to my set up for several reasons Including getting a free upgrade to a SWM system, a supported whole home system. I kept my HR24, HR22 and H24. I thought about a mini genie client for about 5 minutes and realized for my needs it would be a step back. The monthly fee is the same, it has size going for it but that is all I can see it has over a DVR.

18. Dukester619

Dukester619 Cool Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I kept the HR23, added the client, and dumped the 2 HR21's for several reasons. Obviously the 23 has a bigger drive and is slightly faster IMO then the 21's. My 21's are both over 5 years old and the one in the bedroom was constantly grinding the HD even in stand by. DTV would not replace it even with the protection plan due to that issue. The one for the kitchen/patio is kept in the garage and takes up space on a cabinet that I have now recovered for other use. So obviously I have to use RF to control that unit and have never been very happy with the performance from the patio. Now it works great using the RC71 remote with the new RF technology. That has been one of the best thing (along with the speed increase) about the upgrade so far.

The other issue is that I have a SWM 8 system with 7 tuners now with the new configuration. I suppose they might have upgraded the system for free if I had keep two HR2x's, but I didn't ask just to have two more legacy tuners. I have plenty of recording capability and space now and the whole system is so much smoother.

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    So glad it works great for you.

Proves there's no cookie cutter approach that works for every one.

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    But the TS didn't say anything about leaving -- he said he has one year left on his current agreement. And the CSRs, whether front-line or retention, will know that.