1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protection Plan Upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by quack05, May 21, 2013.

1. quack05

quack05 Cool Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I recently went to Dtvs website to upgrade an owned standard def receiver to HD and at checkout they were trying to charge me 19.95 for shipping. I called Dtv and the rep said the best she could do for me was upgrade for 49.95 I kindly said no and asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor comes on and tells me I am not due an upgrade until Feb 2014. After a discussion with her I got her to credit the 19.95 plus tax for the unit that I ordered online.

My question is is my owned standard def receiver quailified for the every 2 yr upgrade?

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Do you have DirecTV's PP?

3. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Any reciever owned or leased qualities for a upgrade every 2 yrs with the pplan

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right, because is not about the receiver. The TS might just as well qualified for the same deal if he was adding an extra receiver.

5. quack05

quack05 Cool Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Yes I have the protection plan. The CSR supervisor told me that I did not quailify for any kind of upgrade until 2014. I told her with the new PP and the email I got I understood it to be that i could up grade each receiver I have every 2 yrs, and that it would put me into a new 2 yr contract each time.

6. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    That also pushes your protection plan upgrade out to 2015 now. 24 months from the date that was ordered.

7. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    You don't get to upgrade each of your receivers, just one. Unless you go with the Genie and clients for the other rooms. I wouldn't go with the clients if you already have HD equipment in those other rooms.

8. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    The clients are able to pull up the on demand content which the HD irds can not do. I sometimes get upset customers who changed from clients to HD ird be upset they were not told this as to why I brought it up. Thats like the only advantage I can think of.

9. quack05

quack05 Cool Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I have a Genie in my living room and 2 other HDDVR'S in bedrooms that gives me the ability to record 9shows at one time. If i got a client instead of the HD receiver for the 3rd bedroom I would loose 1 input plus I would need the Whole home activated and pay 3.00 more for that service.

To follow up on this I got the HD receiver on Wednesday and set it up and called in to activate and deactivate the old SD receiver and the CSR told me That I needed to return the old box. When I upgraded last year I also had SWM put in and the old SD boxes I had ( 2 of them ) which I was told where owned by me were replaced with new ones, Tech said old ones would not work with new cabling. So CSR tells me that when They changed them out they became leased again. I know that when the upgrade was done I called to make sure that the new SD boxes were coded as owned and was told they were. To me this is not really a big deal I will send it back if the box comes as I have no need for it other than to make a little cash selling it

10. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    D-11's are not recoverable and do not need to be sent back. Some CSR's will say every receiver needs to be returned just to make sure they don't give information that leads to nonreturn fees. They do not work on the SWM system but I believe if you have legacy ports on a SWM-16, you could run separate outputs from there to allow the D-11's to work.

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    as long as the replacement or upgrade is not installed by a tech. if a tech installs the "new" replacement , he will take the receiver with him.

12. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Really? See them left all the time. If you take them back, do they go in a recycle bin?

13. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Goinsleeper From personal experience of an installer taking back some of my owned receivers from an upgrade, he wasn't suppose too of course was not home, they get re-entered into the system as leased, was kinda irritated as they should of been sent back to me as I owned them.

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Perhaps he meant "HD" DVRs?

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They have taken none of my 20-700s. No upgrades, just replacements. All my 20-700s were/are owned and had 2TB drives in them. Wasn't about to lose the drives and the techs didn't want to wait for me to swap out the larger drives for the original stock drives.

Rich

16. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Perhaps as it just had HD.
    Lets hope not as it is definetely not a good idea to swap a client with a HD DVR :p

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm not sure what you mean? Could you clarify?

Rich

18. flyingtigerfan

flyingtigerfan Godfather

Feb 16, 2005
    I have an HR20-700 and two HR21-100 (I think they are 100s). I have them linked unofficially through ethernet and pay the $3.

Questions, since I'm now so far out of the loop. Can I upgrade these receivers to newer models that are at the very least faster? These are so slow to respond it's just annoying.

Any advantage (financial or otherwise) to going genie-client? Don't know much about the latest receivers anymore.

19. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The Genie is faster than it's predecessors. It has a 1TB Hard Drive, PIP, Genie Recommends, and other features. It would be a big improvement over your current receivers.

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No you can't. DirecTV cannot guarantee specific models. upgrading means going from an HDDVR to a Genie