1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

protection plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by robl45, Apr 11, 2012.

1. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    i see people talking about the protection plan, I searched and didn't find out anything about it, don't remember seeing it on directv's site although I know I saw it on dishes site. Is this something that is still relevant for new customers who sign up now?

2. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I believe that you have the protection plan free for a period of time. After that it is $5.99 per month. Check out this link to DirecTV's site for more information about it.

3. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    so do you need it? if the receivers are leased, they replace them if they break don't they?

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    It covers not only replacement of the DVR but fixing, replacing your dish or realignment of your dish, wiring issues and other equipment problems such as Multiswitches, DECA, SWM, Cables, etc.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Without the PP, its $20 S&H to replace a defective receiver. With the PP, they cover the S&H...

6. grcooperjr

grcooperjr New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Well Rob...

The warranty period is 90 days. As is with most leases the person that is leaseing the equipment is responceable for repairs once it is out of warranty. The protection program takes care of it if you have it....

7. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    The protection plan is not free for any amount of time. If you sign up during your installation or when it is sold to you there is a 30 day wait period before it starts. You will be billed $5.99/mth it is required you keep the plan for 1 year or pay a $10 cancellation fee (fee void in some states). It is only $49 for a service should you have a problem and need a tech so you make the decision either $49 one time fee or spread out over several months at $5.99 Generally a system installed properly is service free but there are always problems hear and there with electronic systems. There is supposed to be an advanced protection plan coming out soon that will cover all electronics that you use to watch Directv (ipads, televisions, computers, etc....) not sure of all the details yet but I have heard $15-20 cost for this coverage.

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's not true in the case of leased DirecTV receivers. DirecTV will replace any leased receiver that fails for a $20 S & H fee. If the replacement fails within 90 days, it will be replaced again free of charge.

The advantage to the "protection plan" is that EVERYTHING is covered AND a technician is sent out (if necessary) at no additional charge. For folks who are not technically savvy at fixing cables or reaiming a dish located on a roof it could be a good value at $72 per year. For folks who installed all of their own DirecTV equipment themselves including the dish (me) it's not a good value.

9. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    I know this board is filled with a lot of DTV fans who will defend anything no matter how rediculous it, but this is a bit much.

With Uverse, I call they show up and fix their crap, its why I pay them each month. dish aligning should be free, its why I left dish and frankly why people hop from provider to provider. At any rate, i'm pretty close to signing up for directv but I'll skip this nonsense plan.

now maybe no one at directv has taken an economics course but even with the termination fee, they are better keeping a customer than having them terminate, and if they tried to charge me to replace leased equipement, they would probably end up with a termination fee. Lets hope it doesn't come to thtat.

10. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    West99999 is correct, and ThomasM is correct.

As you mentioned, it's a matter of perceived value..time vs $$..do you purchase a 55" 3D TV or computer and not get the extended protection/service plan? Must ask that internal question, is it worth my time? We can regain $$ but not lost time..

Obviously the decision to pay for HQ TV is to maximize your investment dollar per hour of free time..those who have the ability pay for convenience and quality, because in the end, the time they saved earned them a lot more $$ than the cost..fewer headaches, less stress and possibly better health too. :D

If you ever need service/repair, then spend hours on the phone to complain about the cost after consciously refusing the protection plan..you have wasted your time and money..fortune cookie once said: a wise man will not step over dollars to pick up pennies.

Good luck!

-=K=-

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm a businessman. The goal of any business is to make a profit. The more avenues one has of achieving a profit the better. The Protection Plan is one of those avenues. What's so rediculous?

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Exactly. It's like flood insurance. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. The Protection Plan is a win/win scenario. The customer wins with the convenience and quality you mentioned and the provider wins with extra revenue.

13. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    You make an excellent point. I've read in the past that the cost to DIRECTV to sign up a new subscriber is somewhere in the area of $1000 per customer when you consider the costs of marketing, installation, equipment, and whatever other costs exist. And DIRECTV is not about to lose one of those customers and have to spend another $1000 to replace that customer over the cost to replace failing equipment.

I know that there are those who swear by the protection plan and who will never be convinced otherwise, but protection plans and extended warranties are set up by companies as pure profit generators for the company and not for the purpose of saving customers money. In the case of the DIRCTV protection plan, this is especially so because DIRECTV is very liberal with providing customers without the protection plan the same benefits that they would be getting with the protection plan. I have never had the protection plan, and during the time since DIRECTV started leasing equipment, I've had at least 5 receivers or DVRs die. In every case, DIRECTV has replaced the unit at no cost to me, and, upon my request, they have even waived the shipping costs. Last year, I had a dish that had hail damage replaced at no cost to me. When I had a cracked LNB, not only did DIRECTV send someone out to replace it at no cost to me, but, also, when the service tech came out, he replaced the LNB with a SWM LNB and did the necessary work to install SWM and DECA for me and I was charged nothing. And I've also had a few service calls for peaking the dish at no cost to me. Twice, when I had receivers replaced, DIRECTV replaced them with DVRs at no cost (and without extending my contract).

If you talk with people who sell appliances, electronics, cars, or any other product, they will tell you that, if they can sell someone a protection plan/extended warranty, they will make more money on that protection plan or extended warranty than they did on the sale of the product being protected. The rule of thumb is that, with any protection plan/extended warranty, it makes financial sense to buy it only if the potential loss that you are protecting against is so large that it would cause severe financial distress. In the case of DIRECTV equipment (or most other products), if I can't afford a few hundred dollars to replace some equipment, I'd question whether I could afford the product or service in the first place.

The bottom line is that I've never spent one cent to replace (or upgrade) DIRECTV equipment, and I've never had the protection plan. I figure that, even if I ever had to pay for a service call (even though DIRECTV policy allows one free service call per year), I'd still be way ahead of the game compared to the $70 or so that I would have paid per year had I had the protection plan. And, as you say, if there was ever a repair/equipment replacement that would have cost significantly more, I'm confident that, if I said that I would switch to Dish unless DIRECTV waived the charges, any such charges would be waived.

14. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    One advantage to the PP to consider is if you have any OWNED (not-leased) receivers. If they need to replace them they will be replaced and still be owned. Without the PP your formerly owned replacements will now be leased and your contract extended 2yrs. In my case all receivers are owned so the PP is worth it to me and I also seem to need a dish alignment once a year.

I think for most people who have it the PP isn't a necessity but simply a convenience. The $6/month = maybe 2 beers a month or 3/4 of a pack of cigarettes (DISCLAIMER: cigarette smoking may be hazardous to your health).

15. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    The way it was explained to me was if they replace any receiver outside of the 90 day warranty, it will renew your 2-yr commitment unless you have PP.

16. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Simply not true. For a brief period, there were issues with DirecTV erroneously extending them, but it is not valid.

There really should be a sticky about the PP facts, it would be a good member service.

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Although if your interested, you may want to wait to check out a new and very enhanced version of the P.P. called the "Protection Plan Premiere" that DIRECTV is soon to launch for about $19.95 a month.

AIUI this plan is intended to cover servicing and/or replacement of not only DIRECTV equipment, but well beyond that to a customer's TVs, AVRs, computers, routers and other networking gear, etc. :)

The exact details as to how DIRECTV intends to cover all this has not been publicly released yet though.

18. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Verizon has a similar plan. I have Fios Internet so I was able to get it. They replaced a 5year old NEC Plasma TV for me. Well, they didn't actually replace it but gave me a choice between a 50" new Panasonic (low end model) Plasma or check for $800. I took the check. For ALL TV's in the house it was $10/month and for ALL electronics I think it was $29. I only had the TV coverage. Basically if they can't repair it they replace it or cut you a check.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not necessarily. If you don't need many reaims, it's cheaper to just pay for the service call. Since I've been with DirecTV I've had maybe two receiver replacements and one reaim when we had a freak windstorm that took out power to the entire city.

20. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004

its rediculous because you are paying for TV service, the hardware has to work in order to have TV service. If i'm paying you for monthly service, the hardware and dish should be working, i should be getting signal, simple as that. Maybe only Uverse didn't take the same economics class as dish and directv because they come out for free, even the same day if possible and replace faulty equipment.