1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Protextion Plan. Is it worth it

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Kevin F, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Aug 8, 2010 #1 of 63
    Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I am posting this on behalf of a friend who would like to know if the protection plan is worth the extra 5 a month. Over a 1 year span, that cost is 540, which is more than most truck roll maintance visits. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Aug 8, 2010 #2 of 63
    morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    $5 X 12 mos. = $60 a year. Given all equipment is now leased and all the protection plan gets you on a box replacement is the $20 shipping reduced to free...depends on how much trouble you expect with dish. The value is questionable. Depends on your friend's circumstances I guess.

3. Aug 8, 2010 #3 of 63
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you can align your own dish, and dont own any of your equipment, probably not worth it.
    It basically covers the dish electronics, multiswitches, wiring, and dish realignments.
    In a year, you have just about paid for a self install of a SWM Slimline. Now if your friend isnt technically inclined, and cant peak his own dish, it might be worth it. Its just a gamble like an extended warranty.

4. Aug 8, 2010 #4 of 63
    wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    truck roll is 49.00 now, it appears they want to roll a truck for just about anything now. Had to accept a tech visit for a dvr that was having problems. I do have the protection plan so it did not cost me a cent

5. Aug 8, 2010 #5 of 63
    jstewartgt

jstewartgt Cool Member

Dec 12, 2006
    I got hit by lightening last week and lost a hddvr, swm, and a multiswitch. Very worth it in that case.

6. Aug 8, 2010 #6 of 63
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I have owned equipment so there is a need for the PP for me. Never used it in 2 years but I have it.

7. Aug 8, 2010 #7 of 63
    heaphus

heaphus Legend

Oct 30, 2006
    According to my bill, it is actually $5.99 per month. Also, the other thing that the protection plan saves you is the two year commitment.

8. Aug 8, 2010 #8 of 63
    john18

john18 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 21, 2006
    I have the PP and I think that I have received value from it. I have had a receiver replaced, a spliced line fixed, a couple of antennas replaced and aligned.

For me it has been, at worst, a wash.

9. Aug 8, 2010 #9 of 63
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yep, seems they dont cover "Acts of God" now. Sorry lightning fried your system...

11. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    The protection plan is more like insurance. You might never need it, but it saves you from having to drop 50$ at one time.

12. dabart1

dabart1 Cool Member

Sep 12, 2007
    So if it no longer covers lightning I'm starting to wonder what the value is. I have the PP but now I'm thinking about getting rid of it.

13. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    It's always said "Acts of God", these are Tornados, Hurricanes, and Earthquakes.

14. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Nothing seems to have changed in the exclusions. In fact, nuclear war and riots aren't even excluded, they usually are in these type of contracts. :)

What is Not Covered:
    (1) Incidental or consequential damages;
    (2) Intentional acts or criminal acts by you, damage from accident, abuse, misuse, introduction of foreign objects into the product, unauthorized product modifications or alterations, failure to follow the manufacturer's instructions, third-party actions (fire, collision, vandalism, loss, theft, etc.);
    (3) Accessories, including antennas;
    (4) Preventative maintenance;
    (5) Damage which is not reported within thirty (30) days after expiration of this Plan;
    (6) Damage to commercially-used products (unless this Plan has been specifically endorsed to cover commercial use);
    (7) External signal interference;
    (8) Pre-existing conditions or problems;
    (9) Repairs associated with incomplete or unsuccessful installation;
    (10) Any satellite dish or other equipment made specifically for or permanently attached to automobiles, recreational vehicles, including without limitation watercraft, aircraft, or mobile homes;
    (11) Television/receiver combinations where the repair or replacement is needed directly on the combo unit;
    (12) Components and wiring related to the computer service for integrated Broadband products such as Direcway and DirecPC;
    (13) DIRECTV portable devices;
    (14) Satellite dishes mounted to structures or objects that are not man-made and stationary;
    (15) any failures, or parts and/or labor costs incurred as a result of a manufacturers recall;
    (16) “Acts of God”.

15. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    There is no 2 yr committment when replacing a leased receiver WITHOUT the PP (unless the CSR f's up which could happen with or without the PP)

16. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    There are tons of threads on this over the years.

Boils down do this basic concept to me:
    Can you fix things yourself (dish alignment, replace LNB, replace Dish, cabling, multiswitch) and you lease your receivers then it's probably not worth it.

If, however, you are not technically inclined, have a disability preventing you from fixing things, dish on roof you can't get to, or you just plain don't want to deal with it then by all means the protection plan may be a good deal for you.

Pretty much it.

17. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    They do cover "power surges" as documented in the first page.

18. marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    I had it since I became a customer and it is worth it. I live in the Tampa Bay area, the capital of lighting storms. So far I had use the benefits for about four times. So in my humble opinion it is worth every penny.

19. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    No.

Never wouldve used it in 7 years i have directv.

So saved $500+.

20. flaguy

flaguy AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    I've never had the PP and I think I'm ahead of the game. I've been a DTV customer for 11 years and I have never had a service call. No dish realignment, no equipment breakdown. My only tech visit was when I upgraded to a DVR. So the $72 per year that I have not paid adds up to about $790. I guess that would cover some visits from a tech.