1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

PS3 owners:Are you Folding@Home?

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by machavez00, Feb 28, 2008.

Are you Folding@Home?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    PS3 owners, are you Folding@Home? I saw this as I was setting up my PS3. Are any of you participating?

http://www.scei.co.jp/folding/en/index.html
    It looks like the PS3 makes up the bulk of the donated CPU time
    [​IMG]

2. jazzyd971fm

jazzyd971fm Godfather

Sep 1, 2007
    Folding since May '07-over 700 work units !!!!!

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    i tried it... but i don't think i'm going to continue doing it...

don't get me wrong... it's a cool concept... but it made my ps3 run very hard... and made the fan run at high speed all the time... not only is it noisy, but I also don't want to 'burn out' my ps3...

i may give it a try on my desktop PC though...

4. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    The big question: is "you know who" Folding@Home?

5. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    i am not interested in doing it thru the ps3....
    i have done it in the past with i think it was "seti"
    but might have been testmy.net....anyway not
    interested...thanks

6. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I am not asking for volunteers. I am curious to know how many PS3 owners were donating CPU cycles to this project.

7. sarfdawg

sarfdawg Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    I have been folding for a few weeks on both my PS3 and on my dual-core desktop. I'm sure it's supposed to be this way, but the PS3 is reeling them off compared to my desktop. I just crossed 100 WUs combined, but 87 of them are from the PS3 and the rest are the desktop.

The PS3 has run smoothly throughout, and I have not noticed that the fan works any harder on it than it normally would. The same cannot be said for my desktop that has times where it works very hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.