1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Slim /blueray problem

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by B Newt, Mar 16, 2010.

1. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    I got myself a ps3 slim for xmas. Last weekend went to Hollywood video and got a " Surrogates" on blueray. Here is the problem, when I want to watch the movie there is no sound. If I switch to 5.1 french or spanish dolby then the sound works fine. I also get sound playing the extra stuff on the disk. Just no sound when its set up for english. Bad disk? Also regular dvd's play fine.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Do you have the issue with any other BD?

- Merg

3. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    That is the only one I tried so far. Got the disk at hollywood video rental place that is going out of business. They were selling br disk at half price and dvd movies for $3.00 a piece.

4. northrk

northrk Mentor

Sep 13, 2007
    I looked up this disc and it comes with an english DTS surround sound track. Try the PS3 audio settings and select LPCM in place of Bitstream.

5. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Ok got another br disk and it works fine. When I get time I will fiddle with the junk br disk and try to make it work. I will try the LPCM "what ever that means" setting.

6. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Unless the slim is vastly different let it auto set up your audio for you. It sounds like it was playing an audio that your TV or AV receiver did not support.

LPCM is an abbreviation for a multi channel PCM output. PCM is the same standard as is used on CDs but they are only 2 channel...

Multi channel PCM from the PS3 means it is using its on board decoders to convert the audio stream to LPCM. This is ONLY AVAILABLE AT THE HDMI OUTPUT! The specs for coax/optical have the bandwidth but they will not support multi channel PCM!

If you are connecting HDMI to a TV, its a pretty safe bet it will not support ANY HDMI audio other than 2 channel PCM or Dolby Digital 5.1. If you are going throgh an AV receiver consult its specs.

Regardless, the PS# should be smart enough to determine if you let it do the setup.

Don "the new AV realm is still user unfriendly" Bolton

7. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Ok I looked on the br case and it says the feature is encoded in 5.1 DTS-HD MA. My receiver is only regular dolby 5.1 capable.