1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

PTAT + Extended Timers

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Centex99, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Centex99

Centex99 Mentor

Sep 24, 2007
    It seems some of my shows aren't keeping the extended times in my recordings. Some of my shows seem to keep getting cut off (Gray's Anatomy in particular). They also show 1 hour for length even though the timer (which doesn't run b/c of PTAT) is setup for -1/+3 minutes.
    I know at one point I changed these timers, then went back and changed them back... also perhaps changed the PTAT timer settings as well in the same fashion. Could this be causing my issue? I don't really want to have to delete all my timers and recreate them.
    Anyone else have any similar issues/know of any solutions?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe the timers you set that are "skipped" because of PTAT do not honor your custom padding start/end times. In order to record something during PTAT and force custom start/end times I believe you have to use your own timer and another tuner to accomplish that.

IF this is a big problem, and I can see where it might be... a better option might be to turn PTAT off, since you can now set timers on those same "big four" locals 24 hours a day and still just use the single tuner... that way you can be sure your custom start/end times work and you'll still only be using one tuner for all those LiL shows.

3. Centex99

Centex99 Mentor

Sep 24, 2007
    I may end up doing that... one question though, if I do that, and I record two shows back to back... will it still use the one timer to record the two overlapping/same channel recordings? I know DirecTV supported this....

4. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    As far as I have been able to tell... once they enabled the PTAT single-tuner behavior to be 24 hrs a day... I believe back-to-back timers on the same "big four" channel will honor the custom padding and still share that tuner. It's really the same behavior necessary to share that tuner for all 4 LiLs anyway, but it is a good question for you to ask because we've learned not to necessarily assume things work the way we expect :)

I haven't seen/heard any problems from people in that regard since they made the feature available all day... and I was thinking if it were me, and I was sure what I wanted to watch at nights... I might would turn that automatic PTAT off and go back to the old way of setting timers to get my custom padding the way I wanted and still just use that one tuner. The "primetime anytime" from 8-11pm auto-mode really now only offers you the "set it and forget it" benefit of catching all the LiLs without having to check in advance to see what you want to watch each night.... but if you already know, you might do better setting the timers yourself.

5. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Oh... I should add... that the single-tuner sharing for back-to-back probably only works for those LiL channels... In other words, I don't think that the receiver is smart enough yet to do that tuner-sharing trick on any of the other SAT channels, like say Syfy or USA or whatever.

6. Centex99

Centex99 Mentor

Sep 24, 2007
    Yeah, I like the PTAT in that it picks up a few other shows I watch on occasion... also picks up when new shows start so I can try em out without having to remember to record them... I'm not sure yet I want to disable my PTAT... I wish you could set padding on your copies from PTAT... I swear some shows do that, but maybe the ones I'm thinking of aren't big 4...

7. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... it seems like the PTAT primetime mode uses the default paddings, not your custom/default ones... It would be nice if they would allow your custom settings to override for any recording that you set a timer for OR choose the "save" option. I suppose if enough people bug them about it maybe they'll be motivated.

8. May 5, 2013 #8 of 12
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    My main question on the PTAT: What we HATE is how so many shows go 1 minute long, and so if we have two shows scheduled to record back to back often we miss the last minute or 30 seconds of a show. It seems that happens more often than not. Does PTAT solve that problem, i.e. if I select Happy Endings to watch a week later, and it was recorded on PTAT, will I get the entire show or will I have to switch to the show after it to see the last minute?

9. May 5, 2013 #9 of 12
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    I've been able to see all of the shows recorded back to back using PTAT.

10. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    It's simple! If you have a program that routinely runs over the PTAT recording time, set an edited timer and unskip it on the "Daily Schedule". It will use another tuner and record the extra time called for in the edit. (You have to unskip for each episode.)

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe a recent change in software allows overlapping recordings on the PTAT channels. It also allows shared use of a single tuner for all four PTAT channels 24/7 (so you can record Leno, Letterman and Kimmel at 11:35pm and use only one tuner - or up to all four local channels at any time of day).

You should be able to set the normal timer with the overage ... but I have not tested this myself.

12. vahighland

vahighland Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2005
    Can anyone confirm this? I ordered my Hopper install (coming from a 722k) and had some questions about PTAT and extended timers.

The problem I'm trying to solve is how to record several prime time shows with extended timers (1 min before, 5 min past which is not the default) so that I don't miss the last few bits of a show.