1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puerto Rico Vote Endorses Statehood

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1 of 33
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    SOURCE

2. Nov 7, 2012 #2 of 33
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I was not able to get your link to work so here's one from CNN

3. Nov 7, 2012 #3 of 33
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    I think statehood should happen. They are American Citizens carrying American Passports, and they get to vote in the primaries... but not for President. They should be better represented in Congress and should have the same rights as a state.

This should go either one of 2 ways:

- Puerto Rico becomes it's own country and everyone becomes a Puerto Rican citizen (giving up US citizenship).
    - Puerto Rico becomes the 51st State with all rights and privileges thereof.

I say: Lets sow that 51st star on our flag. They have been left in limbo long enough now.

4. Nov 7, 2012 #4 of 33
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    That been their choice for as long as I can remember as the vote to continue with commonwealth status always won.

I'm kinda shock that they finally choose statehood. Must be the result of the Internet with all its blogs on the subject.

5. Nov 7, 2012 #5 of 33
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Hmmm ... kind of describes Washington DC, too. Well, except DC residents can vote for President. But still, they have the best logo on their license plates: Taxation without Representation.

6. Nov 7, 2012 #6 of 33
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I just don't see Congress approving statehood for Puerto Rico with out a super majority voting for it.

7. Nov 7, 2012 #7 of 33
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It was a mistake to let people live in DC ... the people there should live in the neighboring states and get their representation via their state, not the district.

As far as PR ... welcome to the union. I'd be happy to see them become a state.
    [​IMG]

8. Nov 8, 2012 #8 of 33
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And people around here thought the commute to DC was bad now... :lol:

- Merg

9. Nov 8, 2012 #9 of 33
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I wouldn't physically force people to leave the district ... but, in response to their desire for voting representation, I would declare that any resident of the District of Columbia that has not maintained their residency in another state would be a resident of Maryland. Then they could be represented by the senators from Maryland and a voting representative from Maryland.

There would be certain things that would need to stay under federal control so that no state would have control over the capital. But the residents there would get the representation they desire ... in Maryland or in another home state (as appropriate).

Puerto Rico statehood would create two more electoral votes and shift three (?) representatives from other states.

10. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I have to agree with the idea of going either independent or full-on statehood.

If the people want to be the 51st state, I say "welcome".

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That right there would not fly. The residents of DC pay taxes to DC, but are represented by politicians in MD? The politicians in MD would not have any power to effect any laws or changes in DC. Or are you saying that DC would be under complete control of MD and for all purposes would be annexed by MD, so all taxes paid then go to MD?

Then of course, since the population of MD has increased, MD would most likely get an extra Electoral College vote or two, plus they would now need another representative. I don't see the Republicans allowing the Democrats to gain another vote in the House.

- Merg

12. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Which is basically why DC hasn't achieved statehood in its own right, either.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Kinda. DC has never asked for statehood, just voting representation. They almost had it a little while back when due to redistricting they were going to add another representative to Utah, I think. It would have been a heavily conservative area so the Republicans would have basically gained a vote and then DC would also have their representative added as a voting member.

That idea was added onto another bill that failed at the last minute.

- Merg

14. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    It depends on how you look at the vote. Commonwealth supporters would say that the statehood option only got 43.94%, 802,179 out of 1,825,513 total votes. For the record I am in the independence camp.

15. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    DC could never become a state today because its population is too small. Giving it two Senators woud be giving 2% of the Senate to 0.2% of the population.

As I recall, Puerto Ricans were exempt from the military draft.

16. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    My father was drafted during World War II.

17. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    To small? I thought I read once there was very close to 1 million people within it's border. If that's true, there are at least a half dozens states which would be smaller. I believe Wyoming has a population of just over 500,000. If they can have 2 senators than I see no reason why DC shouldn't (if it ever became a state)

18. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Isn't that the point of the Senate? Every state gets 2 senators? The House is the proportionate body.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    According to Google, sourcing the Census Department 2011 data:
    Wyoming: 568,158
    Washington, DC: 617,996
    Vermont: 626,431
    North Dakota: 683,932
    Alaska: 722,718

So wouldn't be the smallest representation, and not really that far off from several others.

20. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    But their statehood was a practical geographic necessity, and their representation in the Senate is already a thorn in the side of the country, as they disproportionately influence in favor of farm subsidies.