1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Pulp Fiction Blu Ray?

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by smiddy, Dec 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I am trying to find this classic on Blu Ray and have seen other countries by not the US. Does anyone have any information on this puppy?

2. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Doesn't seem to be scheduled for release or at least I didn't see it.

However, you can get Beverly Hills Chihuahua in March. ;)

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Doesn't appear to be on the schedule for 2009.

4. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks guys...this is the only movie I transitioned from VHS to DVD and will also transition to Blu Ray. I have three version of this one. If it came out several times on Blu Ray I would likely get them all too. In reflecting on this, I hadn't considered this my favorite movie, that is until now.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's a great film that deserves a great restoration. I suspect you'll see a lot more catalog titles in '09 but most won't be worth the money as they'll be quick dupes off the DVD master, upsampled to 1080p.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'll 2nd Stuart's sentiments on being careful. When DVD first got started there were some bad transfers then too... so just be wary on Blu rays of catalog titles when first released. My motto is to only consider blind-buy when I don't already own the DVD. For "upgrades" I've been waiting to see audio/video reviews from a few places online before I double-dip.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I doubt this. The fiasco with The Fifth Element proves that such a move would be roundly rejected. The studios are well aware that most of their customers already have a big library of DVDs, so they have to see some value in re-buying catalog titles on Blu-Ray. Without a real HD master, there's no point in buying Blu-Ray, and that title will lose money instead of make it.

Though Blu-Ray is *starting* to go mainstream, it's still a market mostly populated by enthusiests, and these days enthusiests are better educated and, thanks to the 'net, are able to communicate between each other much more easily. One bad review can easily be seen by 100,000 or more potential customers, and that will halt a title's sales quickly.

8. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    No word in regards to a street date for Pulp Fiction on Blu-ray smiddy,but here is Miramax Films' page for the film.

http://miramax.com/pulp-fiction.html

EDIT: A note of interest for the Miramax link posted above.
    If you move your mouse over to the "ON BLU-RAY HI-DEF & DVD" section on that page,a list is revealed,showing new releases and coming soon on Blu-ray and DVD.
    Pulp Fiction Blu-ray is in the "Coming Soon" list. :)

9. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    It's been released in the Scandinavian countries already. I received mine from Axel Music a few weeks ago and it's region free if you do imports. In Bruges is out in that area already as well and it's coming out in France and Austrailia in the next few weeks. I found an online Aussie store I pre ordered that from.

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    I guess I have to beg to differ with you guys on this one....they'd have to pay me to take it off their hands (and alot of money) - this one made my "one of the 10 worst movies ever made" list.

I know it has a loyal "cult" following....but many of the folks who are in our movie group agree this movie ranks right up there with Get Shorty as pure crud.

But then...I'm sure it will look just super on Blu Ray for the Smidster. :D :lol:

To Stuart's point...2009 should see another major surge in catalog flicks, so I'd anticipate (there's that word again...) that you'll see it some time in the first half of the year.

11. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    According to this list, the release date is slated for August 4, 2009:

http://www.releaselists.com/BLURAYNorthAmerica.html

12. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Let us hope that you are right and I am wrong. I'm afraid that with so many new adopters to Blu-Ray this holiday season, there is a whole group who would buy "anything Blu-Ray" and will be burned again.

13. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I love this movie, dont have blu-ray for now though so I will just wait anyways :p

I did catch it on one of the HD premiums on Directv and it was awesome in HD.

14. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I am not saying you have to like it, everyone has their own opinion. But it is more than a cult movie IMO.

Cult movies are like Clerks, but Pulp Fiction had a huge cast of big names and a great director (Quentin Tarantino), not to even mention it was successful in the box office and nominated/won a lot of awards.

15. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    would Natural Born Killers be considered a cult movie?

16. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
  17. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Then count me in the cult, as I think it is great.....

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Not necessarily a bad thing...just a cult thing.

Actually most commercial movies are shot in 35mm or other film, which supports a higher revolution than even Blu Ray provides....so your point is a non-issue. Any movie can be mastered in HD as long as the original resolution of the filmed media supports 1080p or higher.

Feel free to see Lawrence of Arabia (circa early 1960's) or other such classics on HD disks and prepare to be stunned as to how incredible they look. They never looked this good in theaters...never.

For this reason...seeing many catalog or other movies on Blu Ray is pretty much like seeing a new movie compared to any SD presentation. Most of the new releases, of course, are already in stunning 1080p.

19. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    so what's the next step from 1080p?

20. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    For displays, 2160p/120. A 2160p display can show 1080p and 720p programming with no artifacts because it just uses 2 pixels for each 1080p pixel and 3 for each 720p pixel. The 120 means 120hz refresh, meaning that it can show 60Hz (regular TV) and 24hz (film) with no translation (2 frames for 60, 5 frames for 24)

For broadcast or media, I don't see anything coming down for a while. That would be a heck of a bitrate, I'd guess about 120Mbit unless they figure out how to compress it further.