1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purchase hd dvr

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jlsohio, Feb 19, 2011.

1. jlsohio

jlsohio AllStar

Dec 24, 2007
    Besides from DTV, where can I purchase a brand new hd dvr receiver?

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Purchase to own or purchase to lease?

Purchase to own - only ebay and that's tricky

Purchase to lease - solidsignal, amazon

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Only Brand new owned one you can buy is an HR21PRO from Amazon or refurb from Solid Signal.
    There is also a new HR24 for sale in the Buy Sell section on this website (leased unit).

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Purchase to own - Buy/Sell Forum here at DBSTalk, Craigslist

Purchase to lease - 6th Ave.

- Merg

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well sure, you can check basically any forum that has a buy/sell area (which most do): dbstalk, avs, hometheatershack, emotiva, tivocommunity, hometheaterspot, hometheaterlounge, hometheaterforum, audioholics, proaudioshack, audiokarma, etc.

Every once in awhile one will pop up somewhere.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    When buying an HD DVR from a private party (regardless of how you found the unit), get the Receiver Identification Number (RID #) of the DVR and check with the access card department at DirecTV to confirm the unit is an owned unit and from an account in good standing. Once you confirm that, you can go ahead and purchase the unit. If it is not an owned unit, or it is not on an account in good standing, you will most likely not be able to activate the unit once you have it. Also be aware that DirecTV will probably require you to get a new access card ($20 shipping charge), so factor that into the cost you are willing to pay for a unit.

If you want a leased unit, then DirecTV or any of the on-line retailers.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Craigslist is another option, if you do a local search you can pick up the HR and, usually, see if it works before you buy it.

Rich

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Aside from the HR21 Pro, the ONLY source of a NEW HD-DVR to own is directly from DirecTV.

You can buy USED (or at least, previously-activated) owned HD-DVRs from eBay, Craigslist, or here.

Obviously, the great majority of HD receivers are leased, so always get the receiver info and verify with DirecTV's Access Card Team (and no one else!) that the receiver is owned, has no outstanding balance, and can be transferred to another account. You will have to pay $20 for a new access card when you do this.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't you pay the full price for, say, a 24 from D*?

By the way, the phone number that gets you right to the Access Card Team is 877-887-7994. Trust them and no one else! And, even then, call them back and verify that the RID number tells them that the HR is indeed owned. When you get the HR, call the ACT and have them activate it and make sure they know it is owned and put it on your account as an "additional receiver". Then call back in a couple days and verify that. And remember, you MUST be a member of the Protection Plan to activate an owned receiver as owned. If you don't belong to the PP, it will be activated as leased.

Rich

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    No. Unless it changed recently, you can purchase a DVR from the Access card department, but like a lease, they cannot guarantee if it will be new or refurb, or what model it will be.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    That is not true. I have two owned boxes, and have never had the protection plan. You do need it if you have a defective box, and want it replaced. If you dont have the protection plan, the replacement will be leased. If you do have the plan, the replacement will also be owned.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Dave has it correct. The only time the PP comes into play is if you have an owned defective receiver replaced. Anyone can activate an additional receiver that is owned.

- Merg

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Did you buy the HRs from someone? I'm kinda confused about this, because I know that usually when I've bought an HR from eBay or CL the CSRs have tried to make it a leased unit and I've had to remind them that I have the PP. Or was that to replace a defective owned HR? Now I'm really confused. Been a long time since I bought an HR online.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    OK, sorry. Got confused...normal for me...:lol:

Rich

15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    YES, you can, as I stated in the first sentence of my post. :)

Don't expect front-line CSRs to even know this possibility exists, because it's extremely rare for anyone to do this. The Access Card Team will know. Just keep in mind that you are involking an "exception" to the mainstream, which is normally that "all new receivers are leased", so don't get surprised or upset if the first person you speak to doesn't know what you're talking about.

And, yes, DirecTV *will* guarentee you an H24/HR24 if you are buying your receiver outright. You'll pay full MSRP though ($449 for HD-DVR).

16. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Maybe because CSRs can't activate equipment as owned? Only the ACDT can activate owned equipment properly. Any of the normal activation CSRs can activate owned equipment as leased, "accidentally" of course.