1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

PVR for OTA?

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by SayWhat?, Jan 12, 2010.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Not interested in upgrading to a Dish OTA capable unit so what other oprions are out there? TiVO only or is there something else? A card for a PC is one option, but my desktop isn't up to handling the task right now and I'm looking at replacing it with a Win7 model.

More interested in a stand alone STB type unit.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    There isn't much -
    Echostar has their DTVPAL DVR - not a bad unit, and you can upgrade the original 250GB drive to 1TB.

Check this for more ideas - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=42

also any forums on HTPCs.

Like you said, if you have the computer hardware, Hauppauge makes some cards that will let you record HD to your PC, I have one the WinHVR1600. But the PC I'm using it in was fairly good for the time I put it together - Athlon 64 3700, 1 GB RAM (at the time, since upgraded to 2GB), ATI Radeon 9500 256MB video card, Windows XP Pro Sp3 + updates.