1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q: Can 3 LNB setup get newest HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RVRambler, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 4, 2007 #1 of 21
    RVRambler

RVRambler Legend

Dec 5, 2004
    It is hard to find on which sat the newest and those to come HD channels will be located but I assume (tech also thinks) that 101, 103, & 108 (if memory serves me on that last one) will be where most of the HD channels (mpeg4) I desire will be placed.

Q: Rather than use a 5 lnb(too large for my install - see below), couldn't a 3 lnb setup be used to get the HD I want (HD locals LA & NY, 'standard' 'cable type' HD channels (tnt, sifi, disc, etc)) ?

Prob: I am trying to use a roof mounted setup on top of my motorhome, so the less the equipment/size the better. I think a 3 lnb/dish setup can be mounted on my winegard roof top but I am most interested in HD and hope (some evidence indicates that the sats around 101 will be used the most) that a 5 lnb does not have to used.

Anyone out there with specific info/plans on where and how a 3 lnb/HD-DVR receiver would be able to accomplish this?

PS: I now use a dual lnb and can receive 2 sats (dish) with a small 18" oval, so I assume a 3 lnb head and 'wide' dish could/would accomplish the needed 3 sats, assuming the receiver can be persuaded to work with me :)) !!

Thanks!

2. Oct 4, 2007 #2 of 21
    Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    No, you MUST have the 5 LNB Slimeline or KA/KU Sidecar dish!

3. Oct 4, 2007 #3 of 21
    Vcook

Vcook Mentor

Sep 28, 2007
    +1

4. Oct 4, 2007 #4 of 21
    RVRambler

RVRambler Legend

Dec 5, 2004
    Are you certain? As I said and as a tech rep thinks, most of the HD I want are on the 101 centric sats (on either side I think), at least now. Do you make this statement with knowledge or just assuming? Do you have specific knowledge of where the channels are on specific sats? From the sat/channels I have seen, what I propose will work, as the tech thinks so as well, so is your knowledge specific or guessing?

5. Oct 4, 2007 #5 of 21
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    All of the new HD channels that just launched in the last 8 days and the ones that will be launching over the next couple of months are on SAT 103b (DirecTV 10).

After that SAT is full they will move onto SAT 99a (DirecTV11) when it is launched and ready to go.

All MPEG4 HD locals are on SAT's 103a and SAT 99b (Space Way 1 and 2).

I believe some of the MPEG4 RSN's are still on those SAT's also. But Some of them were just moved to DirecTV 10 SAT 103b.

6. Oct 4, 2007 #6 of 21
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You cannot get any of the new channels without the 5LNB dish, you can only get the ones that were around last month, and those will likely be moving at some point.

Basically you can get HBO and Showtime East, ESPNHD, UHD, HD Theater, HDNet, HDNet Movies. TNTHD and Universal HD. Help me guys, am I missing one?

7. Oct 4, 2007 #7 of 21
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The phase III dish will give you all of the old Ku HD channels, from 101, 110, & 119.
    The only "local" HD would be if you can get the LA or NY network feeds. [read "or" and not both].
    What's that 6 maybe 10 with DNS service?

8. Oct 4, 2007 #8 of 21
    RVRambler

RVRambler Legend

Dec 5, 2004
    http://www.lyngsat.com/hd/index.html

(look at 99,101,102,

Also, does Direct use any sats not designated as direct?
    Are all their sats DSS encoded, as I also see 'DVB-S2 MPEG-4/HD Videoguard', also 'DSS HD Videoguard',...

It is a bit confusing if one is trying to think this mess thru yourself, as I am just beginning to check into Directv HD, I have Dish now and do not want to stay with them (lots of reasons to leave them).

PS: no one stated, but I think you are saying that a 3 lnb does not have ku/ka ability and only the 5 or add on lnb's do that is necessary for all the sats that are needed?

9. Oct 4, 2007 #9 of 21
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Bingo!

99 & 103 are all Ka that only come with the center LNB of the 5 LNB dish.
    Not only are they MPEG-4 encoding but at about twice the frequency of the MPEG-2 Ku [101, 110, 119]

10. HummBob

HummBob Cool Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Thanks Guys!!

This is JUST what I was searching for!!

I only have the 3 LNB, and was wondering what I had to do to get the NEW HD channels!!

5 LNB is the answer!!! Thanks again!!

11. surfbird

surfbird Legend

Sep 9, 2006
    all the above CORRECT.. plus.. some of the original hds will be eventually moved over so the transition to the 5lnb dish is imperative

basically you will start losing the more things are added & changed over.. so I'd find a way to be mpeg4 ready because those that aren't will start seeing it.. & feeling it.. one of the reason d* starting informing so early.. especially the asking if you had the b-band convertors..

the new slimline dish may be best option.. where is the dish mounted. always a possiblity but may be extra cost.. non penetrating roof mount.. aka commerical mount.. I am investigating that possilbity myself because of the new roof being put in soon.. I don't wanna lose my hd's.. I'll be as whinny & crazy as the next customer..

see I'm dtv nuts, too.. lol

12. HummBob

HummBob Cool Member

Dec 9, 2006

Sweet!! Yeah, I just bought the Slimline 5 LNB!! My dish is in an optimal spot!!

Thanks again!!!

13. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Why ask the question if you are not willing to accept the answer? If you were so sure it would work with the 3 lnb dish (which it won't), why even ask?

14. funners

funners AllStar

Aug 26, 2007

are you kidding me? 103b for mpeg4 new hd channels and 99 or 103 for hd locals if they're avail in your area..... that tech wasn't too bright

15. HummBob

HummBob Cool Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Well, I received the 5 LNB Slimline dish now I get ALL OF THE HD's!!

YAY!! Thanks for all the help!!!

16. RVRambler

RVRambler Legend

Dec 5, 2004
    It is not that I will/did not listen it is that Direct will be using the center sats, 101,99,103 for the most 'bang for buck' mpeg4 channels (I believe and hope). I am somewhat convinced that a 3 lnb dish and the center ku lnb and ka lnbs on either side will suffice for the HD channels I desire, ie - the national E & W coast local feeds (NY & LA), and many of the 'cable' HD channels.

But as many have mentioned, things are a changing and who knows, it is just a large 5 lnb head set and the montrous slimline dish is TOO big/heavy for my purposes so I HAVE TO BE SMARTER and more inventive than those who size does not matter. So, I am looking for 'deeper' thinking of this situation, not the canned responses one sees so readily and I already know!

Thanks!

17. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    RVRambler,

Okay, let's try to be inventive. However this is not something the average person is going to be able to even try.

You'll need either a smaller oval 2-LNB dish, or a 3-LNB dish to start with. You'll also need a Slimline to canabalize parts from.

Carefully measure the length of the LNB support arm on the smaller dish, so you know exactly where the LNB housing is with regard to the surface of the dish.

Now cut the support arm off the 5-LNB Slimline and figure out a way to mount it to the smaller dish, so the main (center) LNB of the 5-LNB assembly is in the same center position as the 3-LNB head was. You will probably have to do some fine trimming, welding, etc., to get it where you want it.

Hook it up and aim it at 101, then align so you optimize 99, 101 and 103. If this works, you should be able to get most of the new HD channels, but you won't get the stuff that is currently on 110 and 119 (the existing 70-series channels). You might have to play with the positioning of the LNB assembly in front of the dish, so find the sweet spot before spot welding anything.

Now you will have one other problem without 119, and that is guide data if you stay tuned to 103(b) channels. You will have to tune to a regular SD 101 channel periodically in order to get guide data.

Is this a usable/good/acceptable solution? I doubt it. Is it something you might try if you are absolutely adamant you can't work with the Slimline? Maybe. Me, I would go with the slimline without even thinking about it. It's not that hard to set up and align after you do it a couple of times. In a year or less, KVH or some of the other RV supporters should have a 5 LNB solution. That's what you really need.

Carl

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    RVRambler
    After doing all of the work Carl6 has listed and [if] you get it to work, your Ka levels will still be lower than if you use the larger dish for the simple reason the dish is a reflector of the SAT signals and the size is needed to get a good signal levels for the new 18 GHz SATs.
    "Just" changing LNBs isn't that easy either since the dish has a focal point for where the LNB is to be.

19. DFDureiko

DFDureiko Godfather

Feb 20, 2006
    According to Motosat, their 5 sat D*TV dish will be out late 1st Q 2008. this was according to Mitch at Motosat.
    My problem is we are getting a new RV now, and I'm wondering if I should wait and go without till then or get the DISH1000.
    Dan

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Other than the sheer thrill of creating some sort of odd solution, I can't see why anyone would do this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.