1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

[Q] How to confirm DVR status?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Throckmorton, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Hi,

I retired an HR-20 (mfr. date 09/06) back in early May. At the time, I was told first that I did not have to send it back but then the agent corrected himself and said they would send a recovery kit for it. No recovery kit ever came.

Skip ahead to the latter half of July...

I called today and asked what was up. After some research, the agent told me it was "unrecoverable" so therefore I did not have to return it. She advised I destroy the access card and dispose of the HR-20.

I asked if I gave the receiver away, would a new owner be able to activate it. She said yes, but they would need to get a new access card for it.

So my question:

How can I verify that if I transfer ownership of the HR-20 to someone else they would be able to get it activated?

TIA

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I think your best bet would be to call and ask for the access card department. They should be able to tell you if the receiver can be activated on another account.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You call the access card department [or get transferred to them] and give them the receiver ID and ask.
    They're the ones that know/have control over this.

4. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Okay, that's what I'll do.

Thanks to both of you.

5. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Well, I've spoken with the Access Card department and they confirmed my right to dispose of it but also that it remains listed as leased and they couldn't change it.

Is there a secret password I missed?

Does anyone know of a way to get it converted to owned?

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Word has it that if they are listed as an "unrecoverable" model they cannot be changed to owned.

7. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    That must be it then...

Thanks.