1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q RE MLB EI Recordings Being Cut Short

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by IneedCCs, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1 of 13
    IneedCCs

IneedCCs AllStar

Nov 18, 2006
    I had MLB Extra Innings a couple of years ago and had a problem with my HR-20 (which I still have). Recordings of games would be cut short, ends of games would be lopped off, the DVR would just stop recording after, e.g., 2 hours and 24 minutes, 3 hours and 17 minutes, etc. My DVR is connected to a phone line, and I never have problems when I record other channels (locals, ESPN, my RSN (YES), HBO/STZ/SHO/MAX, etc etc etc), the only time I had the problem was with Extra Innings.

I'd like to subscribe to EI this year, but not if I'm gonna have this problem again.

Any thoughts or ideas as to why this was happening? Has it happened to anybody else? If so, how did you correct it (if you did)?

Any help/thoughts/suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Apr 1, 2010 #2 of 13
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Those run times are kind of odd. I've had recordings run 5 or 6 hours with no problems. I usually add about two hours on the back end of my sports recording to cover the over runs. They never seem to fit into the timeslots. :rolleyes:

Do you just hit record or do you also add additional time to the recording. It doesn't seem like it because they end at such odd times.

Give us a little info about how you initiate those recordings. If they’re simple recordings of the EI games you may need to pad the back end.

Mike

3. Apr 1, 2010 #3 of 13
    IneedCCs

IneedCCs AllStar

Nov 18, 2006
    It's very strange. I set my DVRs to record games in a number of ways. By using the Guide and setting the game to record with an extra hour. By setting a manual record for four hours. Doesn't matter how I do it, I don't get complete recordings.

The funny thing is, I first subbed to EI three years ago just for September and had no problems. Two years ago, I subbed for a half season, and that's when I had the problems I described. Last year I didn't sub at all. My components and configuration were the same throughout.

4. Apr 1, 2010 #4 of 13
    Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    That's weird. I think we'll have to wait for one of the EI subs to chime in on this one. Sorry. :shrug:

Mike

5. Apr 6, 2010 #5 of 13
    IneedCCs

IneedCCs AllStar

Nov 18, 2006
    This post is FYI and will end this thread. But, it just happened again and I wanted to share what happened for those who might find it as fascinating as I do.

As I'm sure most of you know, there's a free preview of MLB EI this week. Last night, I set my DVR to record the Twins/Angels game, which was on channel 742-1 in HD from 10 PM to 4 AM. It was scheduled for six hours, and I set the recording by pressing the "record" button while the game was highlighted in the program guide.

What did I get? The recording stopped at 2:01 AM, then resumed at 2:02 AM on channel 742 in SD.

Now, is that weird or what?

I recorded a couple of other games today in the exact same manner with no problems.

As I stated in the original post, I never get cut off recordings or have any problems when I record the Yankees on YES (one of my RSNs) or record movies on SHO/STZ/MAX/HBO or record TV shows on my locals or record, e.g., Rescue Me on FX. I only have this problem when I record EI games.

Needless to say, I will not be subscribing to EI. Which is too bad, both for me and DTV (more for me, I'm sure DTV will go on somehow ;)

6. Apr 6, 2010 #6 of 13
    IneedCCs

IneedCCs AllStar

Nov 18, 2006
    I lied... one final post.

The recording info for the aborted Twins/Angels game indicates that recording stopped because I'm not authorized to receive the game due to blackout restrictions, but a search was performed and the game was found on channel 742 and recorded there.

This is insanity. A Minnesota/LA game is blacked out in NY? After 4 hours? But the same exact game on the same exact channel (in SD) is NOT blacked out?

I've been restraining myself, but I gotta say in all candor that I'm pissed. I really want EI, and I can't have it because DTV can't get its act together on this matter. I changed to DTV from DISH about six years ago because I got fed up with DISH. My latest two-year commitment with DTV just expired, so I'm free to leave anytime I want. I'm not doing anything rash, not gonna cut off my nose to spite my face, but I am PISSED.

P.S. My HR10-250 died last November and DTV offered me a free HR21 to replace it. I declined, solely because I didn't want to have yet ANOTHER two-year obligation to stay with DTV... All things considered, I'm happy with DTV, but this is really pissing me off. I'm glad I kept my options open.

End of rant. End of thread. At end of baseball season... who knows?

7. Apr 6, 2010 #7 of 13
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Record off the RSN...They're opened during games when you sub to EI and during free previews.

Was the Twins/Angel game not over by 2:01am?

8. Apr 7, 2010 #8 of 13
    IneedCCs

IneedCCs AllStar

Nov 18, 2006
    The game was actually over at 1:09 AM, so I didn't miss anything with this particular game. But, this problem has persisted for over two years now. And, two years ago, I did miss the ends of games. It's apparently a glitch in DirecTV's blacking out of games.

I'd sign up for EI and try your suggestion of recording off of the RSNs, but I'm gun shy after my previous experiences. $200 is just too much for me to take a chance. I do appreciate the suggestion, however. Thanks for that.

Guess I'll just have to settle for what I can catch that interests me on ESPN and MLBN. With EI, I would easily find one or two games a day I'd wanna watch (in addition to Yankee games). With ESPN and MLBN, I'm lucky to find a game a week I want to see.

Oh, well.

9. Apr 7, 2010 #9 of 13
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Test a game while the freeview is still going on. Doesn't have to be a team you are interested in, just pick a late game.

10. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I wonder that if the game is over before the end of the scheduled time of the time slot, if that causes a change in the status and then status in the guide changes forcing the change in the recording.

Mike

11. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    This may be a stupid question, but did you call DirecTV and report the problem?

12. JohnDG

JohnDG Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    I'll second this. I stopped having any problems once I started to record Dodger games directly on channel 694.

jdg

13. IneedCCs

IneedCCs AllStar

Nov 18, 2006
    I've been having better luck recording off of the RSNs, no cut off recordings. A couple of games didn't record at all, I was blacked out, don't ask me why, I'm not in those teams' markets. The channels I set to record *were* highlighted (i.e., not dimmed) in the Guide, and the games *were* on in the EI listings (channels 720 et seq), so I dunno what gives with that. But, I took the plunge and subscribed to EI.

Thanks for the tip!

P.S. I never call DTV, it's a waste of time. I get my problems resolved HERE :)