1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality of dish installation?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by samhevener, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Oct 5, 2010 #1 of 13
    samhevener

samhevener Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    The past 4 months a large sign has been posted in front of a Dish dealer in Brecksville, OH who I will not name. The sign about 5 feet wide "Wanted, Satellite Installers. No experience necessary. Will train". A mile down the road in front of a trucking company is another large sign. "Wanted, Beginning Truck Drivers, Starting Pay $18.67 an Hour". Do these two jobs compare in salary? Which job new hire has to have the most knowledge? Could this the reason for some of the poor installs I have read about? :confused:

2. Oct 5, 2010 #2 of 13
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I would say you are comparing apples and oranges, the two jobs appeal to different types of workers. Strictly by the hourly wage the truck driver would probably be the better, but I prefer to come home daily.

3. Oct 5, 2010 #3 of 13
    kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx Legend

Dec 26, 2009
    Well this is a good subject, EVERYONE in life has to start somewhere and there is really no GOOD training except hands on. I started in the installation business back in 98' and I was thrown out on my own after riding with someone for two weeks. I will admit, my installs looked horrible for a few months until I got my "feet wet" so to say. This business is just like any other business, some are good, some are bad. I just hired a guy about a month ago and i KNOW he has like 8 years experience, but his installs are ugly! I also have a guy on my crew that has about 6 months experience, well his work is GREAT! Top of the line! It all depends on the person, how good of a worker they are, how much they care about their work etc.. Ive seen people with no experience come in this business and shock me! All in all, everyone (including yourself) had to start their career somewhere

4. Oct 5, 2010 #4 of 13
    samhevener

samhevener Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    One of the two jobs requires a federal license, the other doesn't. This may explain the difference in pay.

5. Oct 5, 2010 #5 of 13
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Generally, there is a demand for persons licensed to drive tractor-trailers who have experience and no violations on their driving record for the past 10 years. Most attend some kind of driving school which is the best way to learn how to back a rig - run into plastic barrels instead of concrete loading dock or another truck.

Cross-country trucking is not for everyone.

6. Oct 5, 2010 #6 of 13
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Depending on the jurisdiction, the installer job may require an electrical license of some sort.

7. Oct 6, 2010 #7 of 13
    samhevener

samhevener Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Is he a then union member?

8. Oct 6, 2010 #8 of 13
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Not all trucker's are over the road drivers. Over the road drivers are payed by the mile, not by the hour. What the op posted sounds like a Mon-Fri day job for the trucking position.

9. Oct 6, 2010 #9 of 13
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No connection whatsoever.

In Oregon it is required that you have a low voltage electrical license to install satellite equipment.

10. samhevener

samhevener Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    That's too bad. I guess even with a required electrical license they don't receive electrical union wages. No wonder America's standard of living is dropping, unless you are a CEO.

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    You said it all right there, buddy.

12. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    You think that a Sat Installer's License is the same as an Electrician's? :rolleyes:

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Is the "you" the guy who comes out or the company? In our part of California, the company Dish uses is licensed but the "subcontractor" guys who come out are not and are paid a flat amount for the job. No one from the company has ever scoped out the job, much less checked on it afterwords.

It's just the way of the world - competitively cheap to the consumer because its done by low-paid personnel. I hate it, but at least they haven't figured out how to outsource it to Bangladesh. :nono2: