1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question - 2 Dishes, one network, one install?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Andygr2, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Andygr2

Andygr2 New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I recently purchase residence with a shed about 1000 feet away from the home.

The previous owner actually had 2 directv accounts, one for his shed and one for his home because they weren't connected via coax and the installer wouldn't do it. It looks like both have the newest style dish. He ran a small business out of his shed and ran the other account off of it.

I'm interested in a similar set up, but I don't want to pay for 2 accounts. Is this possible?

Here's what I'd like to have set up.

House - 4 units including a H34

Shed - 2 receivers includinge one DVR

Both places share the same network, so it would be great if I could share the DVR content between locations, but not a must have.

If I have directv come in and install 6 units in my house, I should be able to move the two out to the shed without much trouble, right? Thanks in advance for your expertise!

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As long as they arent two physical addresses should be fine. I agree that you should have all the equipment installed at the house then move the equipment yourself. Just remember that it probably wont be "supported" by D* thought if you choose to do this.

3. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    also make sure that all of the equipment is the same, that way you can move recievers around and not to change any thing.

4. Tribbs

Tribbs Mentor

Feb 12, 2012
    A 1000ft of even the best coax would exhibit substantial signal degradation.

Even Belden 1694A RG6 coax shows a 1000ft loss of about 93dB at 2000MHz not including F connectors. http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/1694A.pdf

I would think a buried fiber optical cable with some sort of coax-to-optical converters on each end would work out - IMHO.

I don't know much about DirecTV networking receivers but would a wireless access point be a solution? I'm curious to know how to solve this problem wirelessly.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    He doesn't need 1000 feet of coax. He's only running coax to the nearest dish (one on the shop, one on the house). He already has network available both places, so if he connects to his network he should be able to share whole-home. As noted, not a supported configuration, but should work.

However, 1000 feet is also a long haul for ethernet. You may not have optimum whole-home between the two facilities.

6. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Anyone thought of one dish place in between the shop and the home?

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Nope, because that would need 500' of coax. :nono:

8. ds2992

ds2992 Mentor

Feb 8, 2012
    if the dish on the shed is a proper dtv dish you wont need to pay for another dish install. you cannot by any means have the reciever in your shed on your mrv network to far away.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not true.
    While DECA isn't only to work, and with 2 dishes, it wouldn't anyway, ethernet [with amps more than likely] will work.