1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about activating a new receiver (AAD)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by shadough, Jun 12, 2010.

1. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    My "plan" is to buy a vip222k but only want to activate thru sobongo (aka AAD "Mydistantnetworks"). Is this even possible? I know that #1 after a new receiver downloads software, you can't do ANYTHING w/ it until you plug it into a phone line. And the website where i'm planning to buy it from (http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Receivers/Dish-Network-Receivers.htm) mentions something about a purchase aggreement, having to activate it w/ 'qualifying' programming (doesnt state what that is) or be subject to a $100 fee. This could be just somethin this dealer has to do, but it might be a dish network requirement. I know D* requires activation of all new receivers.

So my ultimate question is: Is it possible to activate a new recvr w/ just DNS or do I need to add it to my Dishnetwork account. Can anyone think of any other hurdle to jump over when the receiver downloads new software?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The seller would be the best source of what they consider "qualifying" but I expect it will be AT120 or above or Dish Latino or one of the other base DISH packages. It is the sellers terms of sale you are dealing with.

You might find a seller willing to sell you a receiver without the restrictions. You probably won't find one for that price.

3. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I've heard people say that after they've canceled Dish that the AAD channels still work. When I got a new receiver one time I called AAD and activated it but after a day I still couldn't use it, called Dish and added to account and then it worked for the AAD channels.

I would suggest you buy somewhere else that won't try adding a fee.

4. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Back in the days of SkyAngel it could take a couple of days to get SkyAngel service activated on a receiver.

I wonder when the AAD channels would have activated if you had never added the receiver to an account?

5. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    The contract between AAD and Dish requires that the services be completely separate. In fact, even if your Dish account were to go delinquent and Dish shut off service, the AAD channels could not be shut off by Dish. So yes, you can activate a receiver for AAD service without regard to Dish, at least in the abstract.

However, the specific deal you have for a receiver from the dealer you choose to do business with may require a contract with Dish. That is a deal you are getting for the purchase of the receiver at that price.

The contract between AAD and Dish specifies that they do not access each other's properties, that they have separate activation and deactivation equipment, and separate uplinks. The contract also specifies that they will not directly compete with each other. In other words, the distant networks provided by AAD will not be available on Dish service as distant networks.

6. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Well how about the duo reciever access fee; the fee they charge you for a duo reciever NOT connected to a phone line, Did that go away?

thanks for the insight everyone.

7. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yes. The "penalty" for not connecting a duo to a phone/internet connection has ended. Unfortunately the credit for connecting a duo to a phone/internet connection has also ended. On DISH accounts, a duo receiver costs $7 more per month as a second receiver than the same level solo receiver. (Duo non-DVR $14, Solo non-DVR $7; Duo DVR $17, Solo DVR $10.) Also HD doesn't matter ... all second receivers start at $7 regardless of HD or SD.

By the numbers, can you tell that they got rid of the "per DVR" DVR fee? :rolleyes:
    (One DVR fee per account, but additional DVRs are $3 more than the comparable additional non-DVR.)

I'm not sure how AAD handles second receiver mirroring fees.

8. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    I have 2 recievers activated w/ AAD and when I added the 2nd the price didnt change. I believe they even told me it didnt matter how many recievers.

how did I get AAD? (in case anyones curious) Just got lucky w/ waiver requests. Minus CBS, they continue to deny me.

9. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Actually they have a limit of 9.
    Found that out when replcing a recever. They usually just add the new receiver but do not remove the old one.

10. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Update: I wanted to get a used vip222, since it would of been previously 'authorized' and I would of simply just needed to add "AAD" to it and everything would of been cool. However, I wound up buying a new one and as I suspected, AAD cannot authorize new recievers. They did try though. I setup the recvr, dl'd software and viola, got to the screen that says "call dish to authorize this recvr". I called AAD first and had them add HD to my service an add this new reciever, the box did change to say "your recvr is authorizing" but after an hour there was no change. So I did hafta call DISH an add the reciever to my account (for $14) and everything was fine. They said that I was NOT entering into an long term aggreement so I guess I can call at any time an take it off the account, save the $14 and keep the AAD channels.

I got a good deal on the AAD channels btw. At first, I thought it was going to be $5 per HD channel, or 30$ for me (no cbs, already had waivers for abc/nbc/fox). I asked about CBS and she checked an said, miracle of miracles, I was now eligible for CBS. Sweeet! She also said they were having a special promotion right now and could add all 8 channels (Chicago & LA) for $300, yearly payment. Broken down, thats about $3.12 per month per channel. Not bad. I was also able to add CBS to the standard def package also. So I'm pretty ecstatic, have the big 4 networks from 5 cities, counting my locals. This NFL season is going to be jam packed w/ games. And for the 1st time since the 'injuction' of 2006, I've got distant CBS's again! Actually looking forward to March madness on cbs this spring.

11. fpembleton

fpembleton Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Just wanted to throw in a quick comment. My opinion of AAD is that they are one of the most professional and accomodating media retailers I have encountered. If you are courteous and reasonable interacting with them, I truly believe they will do everything humanly possible to work with you on distant networks. A breath of fresh air...always.

12. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    My interactions with them have always been favorable. The only problem I have had is with their billing. They generate their bills a little late, and I was briefly cut off from their service because their annual bill arrived a few weeks after the cut-off date, and they did not allow a grace period. This also happened to one other person I know. Actually, I don't think that a grace period is necessary, but they should generate their annual bill about one to two months before the cut-off date, rather than generating the bill about two weeks after the cut-off date.

I look forward to Dish regaining the license to carry distant networks, but I feel that the service provided by AAD will still be needed after Dish regains the license. I hope that the services will complement each other.

13. slt101

slt101 AllStar

Jun 17, 2010
    There are other sites out there where you can buy a vip222k receiver for about $ 118.00 including shipping and don't have to have qualifing programming.

14. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    I wound up getting it from fleabay for $100 including shipping, and was told by the CSR there would be no comittment.