1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about buying components for SWM setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nov 8, 2010 #1 of 43
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I'll be switching to a SWM setup before too very long, as I just realized after talking to an installer today, that it's not a big deal to do, and I already have everything is place, basically.

I have the slimline dish, and I know I'll need to switch the LNB, and I need the power inserter and the splitter. What I need advice on is, what brands are the best, or whether it matters very much. I simply want to get the right components, that's all. I'm going to be replacing my HR23 in the living room with an HR24, and the HR23 will move to the bedroom. Very straightforward.

If I'm understanding this so far, this is what I need
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...In-Multiswitch-(SL3SWM)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...0-MHz)&c=Satellite Splitters&sku=874409002404
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...c=Multiswitch Power Supplies&sku=874409000844
    I'm assuming this is all o.k., but if any of it's wrong, or there is a better brand, or whatever, I'd appreciate any pointers.

I was also considering going this route, to save a few dollars, as money is a little tight, but maybe this isn't a good idea.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160501960181&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Oh, and can the power inserter be in the house, right by the living room receiver.....it's within 25 feet os of the LNB, if that matters. This installer today said it goes right behind one of the receivers, and I could swear I've seen something about it going outside, which would be a bit of a hassle as far as plugging it in. Again, thanks!

2. Nov 8, 2010 #2 of 43
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    That is what you need.

I would avoid WNC, their LNBs are crap IMHO. The solid white plastic caps are hair thin and crack way too easily, then water gets in.

Don't buy it at SS unless you want to pay too much.

3. Nov 8, 2010 #3 of 43
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Oh, and the PI goes inside, behind whatever receiver is connected to red port of the splitter.

4. Nov 8, 2010 #4 of 43
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As for the PI, you can also just put it where the cables come into the house right after the first splitter. Mine is hooked up there. That way it doesn't take up more room behind the TV.

- Merg

5. Nov 8, 2010 #5 of 43
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    But, in my case, that would be the attic, and then I'd have to hardwire it in. There is no problem with it being inside, in my living room, behind the tv, after the splitter, 20 feet or so down the cable, right?

6. Nov 8, 2010 #6 of 43
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Right". Mine is around 80' away.

7. Nov 8, 2010 #7 of 43
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Cool....thanks! makes the most sense, at least in my application.

8. Nov 8, 2010 #8 of 43
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    The inserter and splitter aren't my issue with them, but the LNB can be found cheaper than what they sell it for, for sure.

9. Nov 8, 2010 #9 of 43
    poppagene

poppagene AllStar

Jul 20, 2007
    As you already have a dish getting HD, you could keep your lnb and get a swm8 and power inserter. Soild Signal has them for $140, but you should be able to get them fairly cheap new (or used) on ebay.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As VOS stated, not a problem. I was just pointing out an alternative location for the PI if you so desired.

- Merg

11. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    O.k. I appreciate that. Just making sure going inside was fine. It's just easier for me. :)

12. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Well, I can change the LNB, get a new inserter and splitter, for about $100, without looking for a deal, so that wouldn't make sense. :)

13. poppagene

poppagene AllStar

Jul 20, 2007
    Your new lnb will likley be 3 instead of possibly 5, and you can get the swm8 the power inserter and splitters new for about $65 and used for about $60 shipped search for
    SWM 8 MULTISWITCH WITH POWER INSERTER 4 WAY SPLITTERS (used)
    or
    SWM 8 MULTISWITCH WITH POWER SUPPLY 4 WAY SPLITTERS NEW

14. MrLatte

MrLatte Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    It would make sense if you ever needed more than 8 tuners in the house (4 DVRs) as the SWM LNB is limited to 8 tuners.

15. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I won't, but thanks. :)
    Just me and my wife, pretty basic, lol!

16. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I actually have a brand new SL3 LNB, that I've kept as a spare, but it's not SWM. So, with what you talking about, I just add a multiswitch, and power inserter?

17. poppagene

poppagene AllStar

Jul 20, 2007

Others have posted that the SL3 is compatible with the swm8, so you should be able to do that.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1875310

18. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
  19. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    It seems like it would be a cleaner job, as far as aesthetics, by swapping the LNB, and then running that one cable to a splitter, under my eaves, and then just one cable to each of my 2 dvr's, which is all I will have, at the most. That's the reason I'm thinking the lnb swap would work out best. I'm just guessing though, but it seems to make sense.

20. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If you don't have any legacy receivers [which don't work on SWiM], then the SWM8 simply isn't needed.
    The SWM8 was for commercial installs where they could/would be grouped to feed MDU systems.
    If you EVER need more out of a SWiMLNB, then you'll move to a SWiM-16, which works better than two SWM8s anyway.