1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about cavalry external drive.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by fochs13, Jun 16, 2010.

1. fochs13

fochs13 Legend

Dec 1, 2006
    Newegg has the cavalry CAXH3701T0 1tb external drive for $64.99 after rebate. Just wondering if there is any reason why this particular drive wouldn't work with an HR20-100.

2. fochs13

fochs13 Legend

Dec 1, 2006
  3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It'll work but the better question is for how long, they have been shown to not be as reliable as other brand as they are not designed for 24/7 use, especially in a DVR setup.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've had a lot of Cavalrys and they didn't last or made so much noise that I couldn't stand it. The Cavs are just about the worst eSATAs out there. You'd be better off with a 1TB internal drive and an MX-1 or Rosewill enclosure. Costs a little more, but lasts a whole lot longer.

Rich

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Great minds... :)

Rich

6. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    Are there different types of H.D. used in the Cavalry? The reason I ask the one I have has a Western Digital H.D. and like any other W.D. i have had I have never had a problem with them.

7. fochs13

fochs13 Legend

Dec 1, 2006

The problem with getting an internal drive with an Antec mx-1 enclosure is that it will probably run about $120 compared to the cavalry for $65. I've got another cavalry drive that I've had for over a year and haven't had a single problem with it.

8. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I had a Cavlary 750 that worked fine for a couple of years. It had a WD drive inside. Eventually the fan stopped working and the DVR started acting pretty flaky. I slapped the dirve into an MX-1 and it worked fine.

AS long as you keep an eye on things, they work, but the Cavalary drives have definitely shown that while they are cheap in cost, they are cheap in build also, so you get exactly what you pay for.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't go by just that one, I've had a whole lot of them and don't have one left. None of them lasted more that a year or so, while some folks report that the MX-1 with HDDs last for many more years.

But I gotta say that all the Cavs that I bought did work, but for various reasons, mostly noise, I had to get rid of them. I had two 2TB Cavs and one lasted four months and the other died in about a year. And they cost $460 apiece. Crap is crap, no matter the cost. If money is a concern, then you can't beat that price. Or can you, look around and you'll see many 1TB eSATAs for near that price. Much more dependable eSATAs.

Rich

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you go the cheap route and it fails prematurely and you lose all your shows, like many with Calvary's and FAP's have, please dont come back crying about it....not trying to be rude, just trying to get the point across that they are not that reliable for any long term storage. If you just want the extra storage space but wouldn't be put out if a year from now you wake up one day and your drive is dead, and all your saved shows are gone, then more power to you.

11. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I have had a Cav 1t on an HR20 for a couple years now and a 2t on the other for a couple months. The 2t runs very hot and the 1t warm. I keep a targus on top of both HR20-700s to keep them cool and use the exhaust to cool the esata drives.
    Knock on wood they stay running.
    I hear ya on the price. I could not let drives go at half the price of the others. The first time I lose a years worth of content due to a failed drive, I will be right back here on the bandwagon with the rest of them.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    None of the many Cavs that I've used had that kind of heat problem. Both of my 2TBs ran warm, not hot. Never saw a reason to put a cooling device on any of them. But, like you said, if the price matters, I can understand buying a Cav, but anybody that does should understand it's a crapshoot at best. And the last time I looked, the tech support for the Cavs was non-existent.

Rich

13. Frostbyte

Frostbyte Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    I've been running a Cavalry 1TB for almost 2 years now on my HR20-100. Its power adapter just recently failed, but $8 from ebay and it was working fine again. Not noticeably loud or hot.

14. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    Cavalry website shows 10 models of hd enclosures with this CAXH being their newest model!
    It looks like there is no fan inside this enclosure. That makes it about the worst enclosure
    you can buy for directv dvr use. And if your rebate doesn't come thru you got ripped off bad.
    I only use enclosures with 3" fan built in but get something with some kind of fan built in. I wouldn't buy this.

http://www.cavalrystorage.com/CAXH.htm