1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about connecting to internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tim1970, Oct 31, 2011.

1. tim1970

tim1970 Cool Member

Nov 12, 2006
    I currently have 2 HD DVR's, and 1 HD receiver. I also have multi-room viewing. I am wanting to get the Nomad, but I read that I must be connected to the internet. Is this as simple as plugging in one of my DVR's directly to my network hub? Or is there something else I need.

Thanks

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You will need a DIRECTV Cinema Connection Kit, also called a Broadband DECA. This is a device that bridges your home internet to the coaxial cable. It's designed for dishes that use the SWiM system. You can verify that you are SWiM-enabled by pressing the {DASH} button on any receiver. If you are not, you will need to connect ethernet cables to every receiver, but since you're using multi-room viewing, you probably are SWiM-enabled.

3. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    What model is the HD receiver? I believe the H20 does not have an network connection port.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Which would mean it isn't part of the multi-room viewing group.

5. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Yeah, I know. Stuart advised that without SWM the OP should plug network cable into each receiver, so I was just confirming with the OP. Not that internet on the HD receiver affects Nomad sharing anyway. :)

6. tim1970

tim1970 Cool Member

Nov 12, 2006
    So it looks like I will need the DIRECTV Cinema Connection Kit. If I get the self-install kit, will I be able to hook directly into my router, or will it be wireless. I already have a network cable ran to one of my boxes, so I would like to use that if possible instead of wireless.

Thanks

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The self install CCK works either wirelessly or hardwired.