1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about dish mover......

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by cj9788, Aug 29, 2010.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Sponsored Links ​

I am planning a move to Miami from Jacksonville I have 3 510's and a 625, I called E* and was told that I qualify for a free move. I plan on installing all the receivers in my new home my self, In other words all the recievers will already be connected in the living room. Since the 3 510's are my kids receivers I keep them all in the living room and have the tv out cables run to thier rooms/ I was and still am concerned that the kids would play with the cards or possibly spill a drink or something like that. You know the crap kids do. Any how what I need the installer to do is install the dish and run the two cables from the dish to my 2 dp34 switches ( i will already have the sat in cables connected to the various receivers from the dp34) and run cables from the living room to the three bedrooms. I plan on taking my dish with me even though E* told me I should leave it. Will the "free" move cover the running of the wires from the dish to the living room and the running of the tv out cables from the receivrs to the rooms. Also the area in the living room main tv and receivers will be located does not have a phone line so will the installer run a phone line to the reciever? The house is all tile floors so I would presume the cables would have to be run through the attic. Any time a company tells me free I have my doubts. I was wondering if anyone had any insight if what I have to have done really would be free. Thanks.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Its the installers job to get all the recievers connected, somehow, and presumably the way you want it, which would include running cables and verify every recvr is working. Thats the free part. He will NOT run cables thru walls. In my case, he put up a quad LNB an ran 2 feeds into the attic, connected 1 cable to an pre-existing cable a former owner had run thru the wall in the MBR, but in the other BR, he poked the wire thru the drywall in the closet, down around the door frame and poke thru the wall to near the TV. Which I wasn't too happy about, I later ran the wire myself down thru the wall, course still got those lil holes in my drywall. He ran the other 2 lines down the back of the house and conected to the 2 pre-existing cables that *I* had already connected to my DVRduo, connectorized and even provided barrels for him outside where it penetrated. That should give you an idea what FREE covers. They'll try to penetrate the house w/ cable near the TV location. Now in your case, I'd hide the DP34's, the installer *should* bring a DPP44 or DPP33 switch to conect all 4 of your DVRs, since thats really all you need, 1 switch. I say *should* cuz you just never know w/ installers. Mine had to come back w/ a taller ladder AND wound up leaving his Suanto(sp?) Dish compass behind.

3. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I am hoping this does not become a nightmare if I knew how to run the cables through the attic and walls I would do it my self. If an E* installer can not do that then whats the point of a so called "professionall instalation". I think I am making it easy for them because they will not have to provide a dish,lnb or switches. I will be very upset if they can not run cables in a professional manner.

4. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Most installers will run cables thru walls, as long they have the experience to do so, but will charge xtra $$ for it. Wall fishing is not included in the "FREE" installation/move.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Hi CJ. Hopefully this will give you another perspective.

DirecTV and Dish Network do NOT provide "professional" installations. They provide free (or at least, heavily discounted) installations. Make no mistake; this isn't nearly the same thing. Don't, ever, believe the marketing.

A professional installer would, for a fee ($60-$100), come to your house, spend an hour or two walking the house with you, listening to what you wanted, surveying the house, taking notes, and then working up a bid. You'd get a copy of the bid, and either accept it or modify what you wanted and basically negotiate your needs vs. what you're willing to pay. If you agreed, the work would then be done at the bid price.

What the sat companies provide is really the quickest, easiest way to get your receivers working. In other words, a BASIC installation. The reason for that is because you are paying almost nothing for a serviceperson to come and spend hours of work time, plus materials, to do your installation. And that person has to do the work for more-or-less a flat rate, sight unseen.

For a professional installation, you might pay anywhere between $300-1000. Most folks who want a Dish Mover end up paying $15 with the Service Plan, or $95 without. What kind of service would you get from an electrician or plumber for $95? Do you think you could get 3-4 hours worth of work? Not in the US.

The fact that you're providing the dish and switches really doesn't do anything at all for the tech; he doesn't pay for that stuff anyway, Dish does. What the tech cares about is how long/how hard the labor is and how much of his materials (cable, connectors, wall plates, etc.) he has to use. Your installation plan will make all of those things harder for the tech, and use more of his materials. What you want is NOT standard, and if it were me, I'd be quoting you custom work fees for that configuration.

Hope that helps you understand...

6. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003

It certianly does, now that I know this i would be willing to pay to have it done. I just wish yhat E* would clarify the dish mover service a little better. the csr I spoke with made it sound all peaches and cream over the phone and kept saying it's free. I hope I did not come off as one of those snooty customers, I admire the skill and know how it takes to do the job of an installer and from what i have read here and at the "other" site installers are under paid and taken for granted. i presumed that E* would be paying the installer a fee for the move just to keep me the customer from switching to another service. BTW I would not do that I am a die hard E* customer I have had them since 2001 and dislike D*. My dad has D* and everytime I am at his house I fiddle with his system and just dont like it.

Thanks for the perspective I truly thought that E* would be paying the installer for the task.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The installer *is* paid (how else would you even get them to show up for work?), but they are only paid for a very basic installation. Anything outside of or beyond that is custom work, meaning an additional charge paid to the installer. And not all installers can do "advanced" work, and even those that can may be booked up for the day where they won't have an extra couple of hours to do extras at your house that day (but many will offer to come back later and do it on a slower day).

8. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Well I just had my free dish mover instal and it was great. All the wires were run through the attic and fished through the walls I was very impressed. They even provided a tripod as my HOA rules prohibited drilling into the out side walls. Funny thing is the installer wanted to install a 1000.4 dish but I declined. i do not have any HD receivers or tvs, so he installed a dish 500 with a DPP quad lnb and a DPP44 switch. Funny thing is when he called dish net at the end of the install he told them he had installed the dish 1000. For some reason that bothers me but I did not make an issue of it. Should I have spoken up. I dunno. BTW there were no fees charged by the installer to run the cables rvery thing was free.

9. Hunter844

Hunter844 Legend

Apr 26, 2007
    A buddy of mine moved over the summer and called Dish Movers as he had never had one professionally installed. He has been a Dish customer about as long as they have been available in our area. He installed his first system by himself and it was delivered to him through UPS. Over the years we've both installed dozens of systems for friends and family. Anyway so he calls the Dish Movers phone number and Dish sends out a contractor. The guy ended removing his LNB and put on one that according to my buddy was worse looking than the one already on there. Anyway Dish ended up charging him $135 for the new lnb and tried to tell him he needed a "special lnb" because of where he lived. He then refused those charges and argued it out and finally won that battle. He moved a grand total of 30 miles away and I am not aware of some "special LNB", I think he's still rocking a Dish 300 system. Simple as it gets.

Anyway I'd be weary of any tricks of the trade. Clearly these guys are getting away with charging out equipment to Dish and customers are dumb enough to fall for it.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Not enough info here to speak to the other issues, BUT there is a problem with some LNBs called "LNB drift", where a clock circuit in the LNB starts drifting and prevents the LNB from locking on to the signal properly. Techs are *required* to replace drifting LNBs when encountered, and as a customer, you WANT them to do so, as you'll start losing transponders when drift gets bad enough.

And, Dish has stopped manufacturing many LNBs, and is only sending out reman's to the field. Many LNBs that perform great look old and weathered, but that's all that Dish is making available. The reason for this is because Dish is about to stop installing all other dishes except 1000.4 and "Plus" (international) dishes, so they are using up all of the old inventory of Dish 500s and 1000.2s now.

Again, while I can't speak to the charges your buddy encountered (but they don't sound right to me), what the tech did was probably exactly right.

11. Hunter844

Hunter844 Legend

Apr 26, 2007
    Ok...I thought maybe there may have been some reasoning behind it because typically a tech won't do it for giggles. I just didn't know what that would be.

The charges seemed rather high and in any case he had no problems in the next county over where he had Dish for about 12 years...I wouldn't think a shift in location would affect it that much.

I wonder if this drifting issue may be what I'm encountering at my lake house/deer camp, it's got a Dish 500 with the old style external switch. Every year I've always taken my DVR down there and hooked it up and did a "check switch" with no problems and this year I can only get 110...119 won't come in at all. It's possible a tree branch is causing interference or something along those lines I guess. We have a HD dish we are going to install in a couple weeks so I'm not totally worried about it.