1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about distant HD channels?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mika911, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 1, 2006 #1 of 21
    mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Hi everyone,

I just ordered one of the HD TiVo boxes.

Right now I get SD distant networks (all 4 networks NY & LA). I am grandfathered, from when I was a Primestar customer years and years ago. The only one I would actually qualify for anymore is ABC.

Question: by having Distant networks SD would I automatically get distant HDs? If not, would I at least get ABC, since there is not even a ABC serving my market? Will I have to ask them for this, or would it come on automatic since I have distant networks SD? Also, would it be NY, LA, or both?

Thanks.

2. May 1, 2006 #2 of 21
    rockon1

rockon1 Mentor

Jan 12, 2006
    You will still need to request waivers, and if approved you will only get LA or NY depending on where you live. If you get turned down keep requesting. I've gotten all but CBS, they seem to be the hardest. I got FOX right away, then ABC after a second request then NBC after 4th request. Sounds Like I may lose them once mpeg4 Locals become available this or next month. Good Luck!! Remember its not Direct's decision it's the local stations.

3. May 1, 2006 #3 of 21
    mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    But on ABC there is absolute no ABC in my market. So they won't just turn it (ABC) on automatic? There is no one for them to get a waiver from. Thanks for explaining it (should help me with the other 3). :) I'm not expecting much, I'll survive if I can't get them, but it is worth a shot.

I am hoping ABC will be easy though, since I don't even have one in my market.

4. May 2, 2006 #4 of 21
    rockon1

rockon1 Mentor

Jan 12, 2006
    Hopefully but I,m not sure. Call D* and ask fo the HD DNS dept.

5. May 2, 2006 #5 of 21
    cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    rockon1, where do you send the waiver request to? Just the the stations main address in my market? D* did it for me the first time and I got NBC and ABC.. I still need CBS and FOX.. As far as the HD's signals I use to get the NBC and ABC E and W but now I only get W. D sent a letter 6 or 8 months ago saying it was illegal for me to have them now (or something like that). Can I request the waivers for them again too?

6. May 2, 2006 #6 of 21
    Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    All things considered, I've found it less difficult & less time consuming to go through D*. Once I got a waiver from a station for HD, I faxed it to D*, but then it took numerous phone calls and as I recall many days before D* found the fax and acknowledged receipt and turned on the feed. When it went through D* (in this case, SD), they took care of all the paperwork, sent me a confirming postcard when station approved, and turned it on. YMMV.

Speaking of E & W, what I don't understand is why a Govt. law would in essence say I can legally watch for example an NFL football game carried by Fox LA in fuzzy SD, but it's illegal for me to receive that same game carried by the same station in much clearer HD. It doesn't make sense to me if the Govt. is trying to push the digital age.

7. May 2, 2006 #7 of 21
    cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    Bill, I would go thru D* but they won't resend the waiver requests again, they refused.

8. May 2, 2006 #8 of 21
    Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    Where 's the philosophy with D* that the customer is always right & what would it hurt for them to resend the request? Perhaps another call would get a different answer, but clearly the station's the way to go in this case.

In my one situation, I found in the local thread in another forum the exact station contact and email address that handles waiver requests. Otherwise, it could have bounced around the station for a lot longer than the 2 or 3 days it took.

9. May 3, 2006 #9 of 21
    Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    It appears cabanaboy is in the Chicago DMA. There is no sense for DirecTV to send in waiver requests because both the SD and HD channels in Chicago are carried by DirecTV. That is because the law does not realistically allow for waivers for markets where SD is carried and where HD is carried.

10. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    If you are approved for distant HD locals, you will only get the feed from the Coast closest to you. You'll get NY or LA but not both and they'll pick. Presumably, if you live in Eastern or Central time, you get NY and LA goes to folks in Mntn and Pacific.

I live in Alaska and would really like the NY feeds for time-shifting but I haven't figured out a way to do that yet. I've had the LA HD feeds since January and they are flawless for me.

11. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    Do you have a link to that forum?

12. TVSaurus

TVSaurus Mentor

Dec 2, 2005
    What exactly do you put in the letter you send directly? I wouldn't know what to say.

13. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    The Chicago link is below and it follows with more than 90 pages to find any stations contacts that may be mentioned.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=444398&page=1

In the case of the Gulf Coast situation , you'd call, rather than sending a letter to, D* and tell the CSR you want your locals in HD & want D* to submit waiver requests for the networks. D* takes it from there & notifies you by postcard of the outcome. At least this is how it worked for me more than 2 years and it may be harder to get waivers nowadays.

14. rockon1

rockon1 Mentor

Jan 12, 2006

They Keep sending them for me. But if the mpeg4 locals are available in your area I doubt they will.

15. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Ok.

Got my HD TiVo setup tonight.

Then I called trying to get HD distant. What a mess. I got disconnected six times and had to keep calling back and going through the menu system maze and then get transfered by the first rep to the DNS reps.

They put waiver requests in, for three of the networks, and they turned on the ABC as I thought they would. FIrst, they told me it would be $1.50, but it ended up showing as $0.00, so that is good. Hopefully some of the others will grant me a waiver, but who knows.

16. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    That's probably why then.

17. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    That's odd they charge me 2.50 per station.

edit: Thanks for the link Bill.

18. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    They charge you $2.50 for high-definition distant?

Do you get any other locals or distants from them?

I get the big 4 east/west in Standard-def for $9 total each month. However, the CSR seemed to think the HD ones are free because they simply don't charge for the high-def locals. In fact, she even said, if these are granted we'll turn them on because we want to give them to you. :) Don't know though. Who knows what these peoples say, they all say something different on the phone. :(

19. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    Sorry, they charge me 2.50 for the SD NY/LA feeds per channel. They use to give me the both the NY/LA HD but now they only give me the NY(because the MPEG-4 are avalible).

20. Larry G

Larry G Godfather

Apr 13, 2006
    Is that the SD DNS you're talking about? I just checked my statement and I only pay $9.00 for all. I think that includes 4 networks from NY and 4 from LA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.