1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about DTV DRV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Combow, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Combow

Combow AllStar

Aug 8, 2004
    Okay i was always wondering if i paid 99 dollars for the DVR. and a year later i say i don't wanna pay Directv anymore. and the service goes off. will i still be able to fully use my DVR i paid 99 dollars for?

-such as still record
    -still view my recorded programs
    -Use it on normal TV or cable

2. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    The only thing you will be able to do with a deactivate DVR is watch previously recorded programs that are still on the hard drive. Integrated satellite receivers/digital video recorders can only record that services satellite signal. It can't record cable, over the air TV or programming from another satellite provider.

3. Combow

Combow AllStar

Aug 8, 2004
    Then i should by the tivo version. Thank You for providing the info.

4. beejaycee

beejaycee Legend

Nov 1, 2003
    Combow, if I may, that all depends on what you want to accomplish.

If you buy a SA TiVo, then you have a monthly fee of ~$12 (or a lifetime subscription fee + a fee on any additional TiVos you put into simultaneous service) and the ability to record one channel at a time with a quality level of your choosing. With a DTiVo, you have a monthly fee of ~$5 (which covers all DTiVos on the account but you can't buy a lifetime sub) and the ability to record two channels at once with only one quality level (which will be higher quality but smaller in size than a SA TiVo can accomplish) that is the same as if you were watching live satellite broadcast.

With a SA TiVo, you have the updated 4.X software, HMO capability, and the ability to record OTA broadcasts. With the DTiVo you, uh.., don't.

With a SA TiVo, you can use it with any service should you decide to change provider, whether cable, Dish, or OTA, as long as you pay the monthly TiVo service fee. With the DTiVo you, uh..., can't.

With a SA TiVo, you can record a program and watch it as it records or watch a previously recorded program. With a DTiVo, you can record 2 different programs while watching one or a previously recorded program.

With all of that said, the ability to record 2 different streams at once swings the pendulum to the DTiVo for many people even with all of the shortcomings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.