1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Question About Dvd Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Eagles, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Eagles

Eagles Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 31, 2003
    I have what I would consider a pretty good sound system hooked up to my home theater. Without going into all the specifics, my video components (SAT tuner, DVDplayer) are hooked via optical audio cable to a Sony AV receiver which I am quite happy with. Recently I swapped out mt Sony DVD player for a Zenith DVB-318 1080i output DVD player. I don't have the Sony model# in front of me now, but it's a progressive scan which I bought about 1-1/2 years ago. At the time is was one of the top of the line single disc players that Sony had out. Maybe it's my imagination, but the sound from the Zenith doesn't quite seem as good as the Sony was. Does the DVD player itself have anything to do with the final sound quality after it is sent and decoded in the AV receiver? Ant thoughts?

2. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Yes it does. Over at AVSForum someone asked the same question about the DVD Shootout, where they compare Video but don't mention much about the audio side. I noticed this big time when I went to DVD. My old Denon CD player rocked! The sound quality was outstanding but after I went to DVD, it seemed like the audio quality went way downhill. It seems fine for movies, but CD are definitely lacking. My DVD player is not a cheap one, either, it was one of the first Progressives on the market and cost over $1K brand new. I notice the same thing on my Panasonic DVD recorder, the CD sound is lacking compared to the old Denon.

The DAC's in DVD players vary widely so the handling of the signal once it's in your player is a crapshoot.