1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about eSATA drives

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cyfman, Nov 21, 2011.

1. cyfman

cyfman AllStar

Nov 4, 2009
    I looked through the F.A.Q. section(not all 21 pages) and just looking to clarify a couple of things.

I have an HR23-700 and was wondering which brand to get (low cost,yet dependable). I understand that if I do this I can't use the internal and external drives at the same time.

So to access my internal drive I would need to turn the power off to the external drive then red button reset to be able to access the internal one.

If I go this route when I get the external drive when I install it I need to turn off the HR box,hook it up,power it on and let it spin up then turn the HR back on and in a perfect world I would be all set to save the programs to the new drive.

Sorry for all the seemingly basic questions for you folks,but I'm not real tech savy with these kind of things.

I looked around at Amazon.com and there are so many different external drives,I don't have clue on which one to get.

Thanks for helping me out.:)

2. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Get a Western Digital 2TB drive (WD20EURS AV-GP) (around $100) and put it in an Antec MX-1 enclosure (around $50) all you need is a small phillips screwdriver, I think it comes with an eSATA to eSATA cable -- if not they're about $8.

Search the Web carefully for these products, prices vary wildly.

To get going: unplug the power cables from the receiver and MX-1, connect the eSATA cable (to both units), plug in MX-1 (make sure its power switch is on too) wait 15 seconds, plug in receiver. Set up all your preferences. Your done!

Good luck.

3. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Unfortunately the asking price for that WD drive has just tripled due to the shortage.

If you are lucky and quick you might find it from someplace that hasn't raised the price yet.

Keith

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Several WD models will work well with the HRs. The EADS, EVDS, EURS, EARS and a lot of other models, but as PokerJoker said, this in not the time to buy an HDD. Unless you don't care about the prices, which will drop quite a bit when things get back to normal.

Also, stay away from the red button and unplug the power cord when you're installing or uninstalling an external HDD.

Rich

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If you understand DVR's processes the RBR is fine.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    He's asking for help. Obviously, he doesn't understand the process.

Rich

7. cyfman

cyfman AllStar

Nov 4, 2009
    Thanks for the help,Would a 1TB be a good one? I imagine that size would be way more than enough for me.And the price on those didn't seem to outrageous to me

Do they make a external that comes in it own case?

Thanks for helping me along:)

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You don't gain a lot of space, you're going from 750 to 1000 gb. Going external makes more sense at 2tb.

9. cyfman

cyfman AllStar

Nov 4, 2009
    Told ya I was a newb:lol::lol:

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    :lol::lol:

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There are externals that come in their own cases right out of the box. Not what we recommend. But if you can get a 2TB eSATA for less than what a proper setup would cost, it might be worth it. Most of us don't use them, but...

You might want to give one of these a try. You'd save about $50. Don't know how good they are or how long they'll last, but I have seen some posts about the Fantoms that were positive.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Found this one too.

Rich

13. cyfman

cyfman AllStar

Nov 4, 2009
    Thanks for the links rich:)

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    These two doesn't look different - then why the $50 premium should be paid ?

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You're welcome. I read the reviews on the cheaper unit and at least one person has it working on an HR.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I dunno, another mystery of life.

Rich