1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about FTV and thumb drives

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Delroy E Walleye, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I thought maybe someone around here might know something more than I can find out by looking around the net (including Amazon itself and Google).

It seems that the later OS versions of the Fire TV box have no provision for ejecting thumb drives.

My question is, is there really any real possibility of "damage" to worry about to the drive or its files by not "ejecting?"

Other than putting up with Windows being "annoyed" by the "corrupted" drive, should I be concerned?

"Googled" answers apply to older OS, and one user's solution of an ES app doesn't work. (I think that particular user has a one-point higher OS, if that makes any difference. I really don't need any other management that app provides).

I haven't confirmed 100% yet of whether "pulling the plug" works or not. I'll be trying that some more, but what an annoyance!

Every other device I've ever used, be it a computer, a capture box, a stand-alone "server" with playback capabilities, to even my latest two televisions themselves, has an "eject" feature for USB drives.

Thanks.

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I'm not familiar with the FireTV, but my guess is that if it is powered off, you can remove the thumb drive safely. Obviously, you'd have to disconnect the 12 volt supply

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  3. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Thanks.

Yeah, that was another suggestion (which I've just confirmed doesn't work, either).

I guess at this point it will have to remain a curiosity (as well as a nuisance) if I continue to use USB thumb drives with that device.

Also, I seem to have a memory that Windows might've had a way to set up thumb drives so they would be able to be removed without "damage" by not "unmounting" them first. I may look into that, as well.

So far, no real "damage" has occurred. Just the annoyances.

(The FTV does have a micro SD card slot, but I find the thumb drives less-cumbersome to handle and more convenient to deal with than those tiny little cards.)

4. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Corruption occurs when a drive is removed while being written to. Otherwise no issue. Make a backup