1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about having Genie shipped to me

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by weatherwatcher514, Jul 23, 2013.

1. weatherwatcher514

weatherwatcher514 New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Western Mass
    So when I called DIrect TV about reducing the price for NFL Sunday Ticket the rep also offered the free upgrade to the Genie. She also said that with my current set up (I only have two HD receivers) they could ship it to me and I could hook it up myself or they would send out a tech at no charge. Needless to say I told her I would think about it. My questions are first of all, can I hook it up myself, or was she incorrect. Second, if I can hook it up myself, do I stand a better chance of receiving a HR44 having it shipped as opposed to having a tech come out? Thanks for the help.

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Good luck on getting it shipped. I went through 5 or so CSRs in the last two weeks for 3 accounts (friends and family) to upgrade to a Genie and ended up having to have the installation. 2 told me they could ship it, 1 told me I could order it on the website (couldn't) and ended getting all 3 installed.

3. VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    I'm far from being the expert, but unless your current system has the new technology (SWIM) 'single wire', then going to a Genie will probably require that you also replace your LNB. .....and if you're like me and have a 'smart panel' where are the coaxs dump into, I'm sure there is some sort of re-wiring or re-connectiing going on there. I could probably hook up the CCK or replacement a HR34 with a HR44, but to go from anything below a Genie to a Genie then I would call in an expert.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Specially since the install is freee

5. dracozny

dracozny Cool Member

Oct 1, 2009
    drop ships are service calls waiting to happen. they are not supposed to be drop shipping these anymore because of it. too many times where it was drop shipped to a customer that doesn't even have the right dish, let alone a swim system.

6. weatherwatcher514

Jul 20, 2013
    Western Mass
    Well they did drop ship to me, said a tech was not needed. Fed Ex arrived and it got an HR34 not the 44. Needless to say its going back. The girl I spoke with when I called back to order it said a tech was not needed because of my current set up.

7. A23

A23 New Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I had a similar experience. I had heard about the Genie being able to record 5 channels at once, called DTV and a Genie was at my door the next day. I opened the box and was surprised by how big it was...duh. I didn't know there was two different models.
    Called DTV numerous times trying to get the HR44 sent instead...no go.

I'd really prefer the features of the HR44, so I'm going to wait until it's more likely that I'll get one...or I'll bite the bullet and buy one.

Called the company that drop shipped the HR34 to me, and they couldn't guarantee that they could ship me an HR44 either.
    But she did promise to send me a pre-paid label to ship the HR34 back to them. Never came...called DTV direct and they said they'd send a pre-paid label. Still waiting.

I look over at the box with the HR34 and I've been tempted to hook it up, but until football season starts, I don't need to record 5 channels at once.

Glad I found this place...I didn't even know about the AM21 ota tuner. Gotta get one of those too.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What makes you think you were "entitled" to an HR44? Drop shipping and Tech install have little to do with which unit you receive. I'd double check before you take action.

9. weatherwatcher514

Jul 20, 2013
    Western Mass
    First of all, I never said I was "entitled" to an HR44 so I don't know why you felt the need to accuse me of being "entitled". I have seen people on this forum reporting that they have received the HR44 and I was just curious if having it drop shipped might give me a better chance seeing as how some techs in some areas of the country have them and some don't. To me the built in Wi-FI is something that is important to me so that is why I would prefer the HR44.

10. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Don't let the DirecTV police get you down. I saw my first HR44 today and in just the 2 minutes I had to play around with it showed that it is by far the fastest DirecTV has. It is not anywhere near 'equal' to an HR34.

Send that sucker back and hold out for the HR44 - especially if you need simultaneous IR/RF remote and prefer to have wireless built in.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Um, how do you have interned hooked up to your system now? If its with a bbdeca I'd stick with that and not do wireless.

12. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Absolutely Weatherwatcher, it is your 2 year commitment do what You want. I had a tech install and upgrade my system to SWM all he had were HR44s. It is a crap shoot as to what the tech will have but I prefer a tech install, as I have had better luck getting the latest equipment that way. There is a thread on what is being installed where, it might give you some idea.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not sure why built in wifi will entice anyone. This is in my books a poor choice of connecting any home theater gear

14. weatherwatcher514

Jul 20, 2013
    Western Mass
    I wanted a tech to do the install but the rep I spoke to insisted I did not need one, so I relented and had them ship it to me. The built in wifi is important since my modem is in my office and that is where I need it to stay. If there is a good way to hook it up via ethernet cable I would be willing to go that route as well, but not the most tech savy when it comes to that. All things being equal though I would rather the HR44 than the 34 and if that means I have to send it back and just wait a while I am willing to do that. I will not die if I don't have a Genie.

15. weatherwatcher514

Jul 20, 2013
    Western Mass
    Just got off the phone with Direct TV and she said that the reason I was sent an HR34 is that was what they have in the warehouse and that the HR44 was not available. Back this goes and I will wait awhile.

16. VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    ...yet 75% (?) of the country has one....?

17. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Jim-

That 75% of subs have a Genie isn't remotely close, if that's what you're saying/asking. I'd bet it's closer to 1 or 2%.

18. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Just got off the phone with Direct TV and she said that the reason I was sent an HR34 is that was what they have in the warehouse and that the HR44 was not available. Back this goes and I will wait awhile.

She is probably correct. But what is in a regional warehouse has nothing to do with what the local techs have, that will vary by region. Do you often see installs or D* vehicles near your home. If so stop and ask them if you can do it in a unobtrusive way. I have a location near me that they work out of I see them regularly at a restaurant or convenance store. I saw one at McDonald's brief friendly conversation about the genie and "oh which model are you installing? Only the HR44. Placed my order the next day.
    Or you sure you might not have a issue a tech needs to look at while doing the install, dish alignment for example.

19. VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    No not exactly....heck I'm still running a couple of HR21-100. So you're probably right about the % spread across all subs. I was more or less venting about how the HR44 is out there but then again it's not. Kinda like the ball under the cup illusion.

Thanks

20. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Why not Ask about (WHAT IF) you ordered it from say solid signal Would they credit your account for the purchase price of a leased Hr44?